Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Do I Have To Pay For Authorize.net?

Guest Deleted

Guest Deleted

Hey guys. Maybe you can help me with a dilemma.

I got this book because I wanted to learn how to build e-commerce sites. So, I'm just doing this for the learning experience.

When I bought the book, I thought that was all I would be spending money on. However, as I was reading the introduction, it said that to build the second site, I will need to use Authorize.net. I went on that site to see how much it costs. As far as I can tell, it costs $49 to set up an account there and then $25 a month. I'm on a budget and that's a lot of money for me to spend.

Is there any way around this?

Guest Deleted

Eh, well, even if that's no longer true, don't worry about it. I changed my mind and decided I'm gonna go through your JavaScript book instead. (I canceled the order on the other book. It hadn't shipped yet. I'd only been reading the free preview.) Anyhoo, I ordered it from Amazon and it should be on its way soon. Yay!

I'm excited to finally be learning JavaScript because not being able to code in it has been bugging me for years. I think the first time I thought about learning it was back in the early 2000's. Why? Well, I've always felt like I can't be a well-rounded developer without it. But I was so focused on MySQL, CSS, HTML, and PHP (especially PHP) that it just never happened.

That said, there were periods where I dabbled in it (e.g. I did the JavaScript and jQuery courses on Codecademy) but I never really got where I could do much with it. Perhaps I was just too focused on PHP. PHP was the life blood of my applications but I could get away without using JavaScript. So, it was easy to push it on the back burner. Out of sight, out of mind!

One thing that has me so motivated to learn it now is the fact that I want to eventually get hired and it doesn't seem like my skill set cuts it. I've been looking at a lot of job postings and almost every single one wants additional skills that I don't have. JavaScript is quite often one of them.

Speaking of that, another skill I often see asked for is, "Able to work in a team." Ouch. I still have no experience with that. I can't find anybody to code with. Now, I've heard that I should just go through GitHub and find an open source project to contribute to but I feel sooooooo intimidated by it. I'm not sure how to choose a project that's a good fit for me. A lot of the projects I look at have tons of code (often not written very well) and I feel overwhelmed by the prospect of having to figure out how it works. I'm not used to deciphering the logic of other people's code.

Learning to figure out other people's code is something else I've put off for years. I wish there was a good book on that subject. I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks for sharing all that! Yes, JavaScript is a vital language to be comfort with. Kudos for going down that path! As for the "able to work in a team", that may not be a hard "must have worked on a team previously" as much as it's a "plays nicely with others". In short: are you flexible and friendly? 

That said, I think it's great to dive into open source projects and help out. There are a ton of good resources on the subject:

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=contributing+to+open+source+for+beginners

Guest Deleted

"In short: are you flexible and friendly?"

Hmm, I'm not sure. I like getting along with other people but I'm not sure about the flexible part. I'll tell ya what little I know about myself in group situations and you see what you think:

I took a group communication class back in college and I got an A in it. I don't feel like it was that rigorous or that I learned that much but I felt like the final project helped me somewhat. We had to do a group presentation. Nobody in my group seemed sure of how we should approach it so I jumped in and took the lead. I scheduled meetings in the study rooms in the library and we would meet there. I helped pick a topic, gave suggestions for how we could research it, and sometimes I would assign tasks for the other group members to do. Thankfully they weren't lazy and if they said they would do something, they did. So, we did a lot of independent research and writing but when we were together we pooled it together into one coherent thing. Long story short, we got an A on the presentation. I guess we did good.

Umm, I managed a moderator team for a few years. Not much to say about that except that I had no idea what I was doing when I started and I made lots of mistakes but I learned from my mistakes and I think I became a better boss because of what I learned from them.