Larry Ullman's Book Forums

How To Save A File To Two Computers Simultaneously

Guest Deleted

Guest Deleted

Hey guys, I want to know how I can save a file on one computer and have it not only save to that location but simultaneously save to a location on the network.

Background info: I set up identical test server environments on my laptop and my desktop computer.* I have identical copies of the same site on both computers. Here's why: Okay, I have the c:\\xampp folder on the laptop shared so my desktop can get into it. However, the XAMPP on my desktop seems incapable of running the site if the files are not physically on its machine. (I tried editing httpd.conf to point to the location on the laptop. Apache refused to start.) So, I had to copy the files over to the desktop. This leaves me with two copies that I want to keep synced. Hence me wanting to be able to save once and have both iterations of the site be updated.

Additional Info: On both computers, I have Windows 7 and use an IDE called phpDesigner.

*I prefer programming on my desktop but I have back problems and have to lay down after an hour or so. That's when I switch to my laptop because it enables me to work while laying down. However, my laptop is slow and I can't type as fast on that keyboard.

Guest Deleted

I've used GitHub a bit but I've never used Git on my computer.

How difficult is it to learn Git?

Is there any particular tutorial that you recommend? (Keep in mind I'll be using it on Windows 7.)

Google "Git on Windows". There is a command-line program you can download that works like the Unix Shell.

Also, it's not that hard, and there are plenty of tutorials.

Plus, you can play with it endlessly with files that don't matter before you actually start using it.

And being comfortable with Git will be a valuable skill (if not imperative) when you go to look for a job. 

I thought this was a really good intro to Git for beginners: http://gitimmersion.com/

Make sure you download the files and actually do all the steps. Git may seem really unusual at first, but after some time making changes, syncing among repos, etc., it'll be quite natural.

Guest Deleted

Hmm, I see.

Okay so I'm looking at the Git Immerson website. It's asking me f I want to download the command line version or the GUI version. I should get the command line one, yes?

Guest Deleted

Okay, I'm totally lost. Here's what I've done so far: I setup git with my name and email and then I did these two things:

git config --global core.autocrlf true
git config --global core.safecrlf true

Then I tried to make the folder for my test site into a Git repository. I used cd to get into the folder inside of git bash and then I typed git init and it said "bad numeric value for 'input' core.safecrlf" and "itconfig: invalad unit"

I did some Googling which led me to typing this: "git config --system --unset core.safecrlf" and that seems to have made it worse. Now if I type "git init" it says "sh.exe: get: command not found"

I have no idea what to do.