Larry Ullman's Book Forums

How Common Are Part Time Developer Positions?

Guest Deleted

Guest Deleted

I'm just doing some research and wondered if you guys could answer some questions:

-How common are part time web developer postions?

-Are they minimum wage?

-Can you work from home?

In my opinion, it's impossible to generalize your questions into meaningful answers.

I think you're best to look at the local job listings and talk to some local recruiters to get a better idea of what is actually available in your area.

If you see something close to what you want, then I would then inquire into part-time possibilities, etc.

Guest Deleted

"In my opinion, it's impossible to generalize your questions into meaningful answers."

What am I doing wrong? Are my questions too broad?

How can I ask better questions?

Buttercream, just try to relax a bit.

It wasn't a bad question to ask, I was just simply stating that it's not really a question that can be easily answered based on my experience.

If you want to know the truth, the best thing you can do is not act like you just did in your previous post. Your previous post sounded a bit on the immature side (and please excuse me if I misinterpreted what you wrote).

If you want to get a job as a developer, learn the trade well (but you don't need to be an expert), and then apply for jobs in your area, and if you score an interview, go in there and be professional and confident.

If you really want to be a developer, the first job is all about getting your foot in the door and building up experience and connections, even if you don't like the job that much or it doesn't pay well.

Guest Deleted

It's okay. I understand. I don't expect you to sugarcoat anything for me. If I am doing something that looks immature or foolish, I honestly am grateful when somebody points it out. I can't learn from my mistakes if I don't know I'm making them. You know?

Anyway, I asked for a critique so I could avoid the same mistake in the future. 

Speaking of which, could you give me an example of how I could have better asked my original question?

Thanks in advance.

(By the way I read your whole post. I agree with what you said and rest assured I am working on all of those things. :) )