Larry Ullman's Book Forums

The original MySQL team is the MariaDB team.

If I remember correctly, the MySQL team continued to work on MySQL after Oracle bought it, and after a number of disagreements, they broke away from Oracle and created MariaDB.

A lot of people say that MariaDB is the true MySQL, but regardless of what you think, it's good.

Yes, I believe you're right on that front. Oracle did continue development on MySQL after it bought it. I have read up a fair bit on it and seemed better generally in performance and some features, but still being very very similar to MySQL and is useable with PHPMyAdmin etc.

I am yet to install and use it yet.

I've only used MariaDB briefly, but it seemed totally fine to me.

Also, to be honest, I've never really been one to utilize all the latest-and-greatest most products have to offer, so I'm probably not the best one to comment on the feature sets of MySQL and MariaDB.

I generally stick with MySQL only because it's what everyone uses and it has the established history and support.

For the most part though, I always stick with basic CRUD queries using prepared statements, which all RDBMSs support anyway, so I'm pretty much RDBMS-agnostic.

Anyway, please let us know what your experience is if you use it.

Thanks.