Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I am only on chapter 2 but I am already feeling great about learning PHP. I don't know why but I feel POWERFUL! All I can do is a basic unsecured form, but I can't help it. I feel like I am learning the ways of the force master Larry., Hmm, Jedi Master Ullman sounds better.

My "wonder-newb" Question:

What is up with all the Ninja stuff? When is one a Code Ninja? And what is with this "Full Pancake Stack" programmer thing?

My serious question:

I am starting to forget what I have already learned in this book. I need more practice building things. But I don't know enough to build much. I have read that exercise books, like this one, are great for learning the mechanics of things, but not good on theory. I am in "Do this" mode instead of "This is what I need to do mode". I feel like I can build anything, but when I have a black screen I don't even know where to begin to writing even a form. The exercises are not translating into my own ability to write PHP without the book. What am I doing wrong? It's like I am just going through the book and not learning anything outside of it. Do I just need to get to lets say chapter 8 instead of 2 before it starts to "click"? Or is this exercise learning format just the beginning of being able to code on my own? Do I need more books?

Thank you

Never mind sir. I answered my own question by continued work. I just finished half of an exercise on my own. So, yes, I just need to do more work and start reading the manual and redoing exercises until I got it.  All my college days were learn by exercise type of classes. Your book is really helping me out. I read 4-5 chapters of another book with no exercises and it all just kept getting more and more over my head. Now, by doing it, I am actually really learning it.

Thank you very much for putting out such a great book. 

Hey! Thanks for the very nice words. I really appreciate it Yes, at the end of the day, you'll need to find the learning approach that works best fore. But remember that no matter how much you read, you really only become a developer by developing. Have fun!