Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Are Stripe Payments Completely Testable From Localhost

Hi Larry,

In the book you mention that you cannot test Paypal's IPN process from localhost (page 169).

Are Stripe payments fully testable from localhost?

Also, none of my few websites need or use SSL so I have no experience in using HTTPS. It seems that the website owner will need to obtain a certificate, but when I checked the Digicert website there are a number of different types of certificates available. The website that I'm thinking about would have a very low volume of financial transactions in the range $100 - $200 each. Can you please advise what sort of certificate we would need?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Yes, you can absolutely test Stripe from localhost. For context, you can't with (traditional) PayPal because it redirects the user to PayPal's site and then back to the point of origin, and it can't redirect someone to localhost. Conversely, with Stripe, the user never leaves your site.

For the SSL certificate, just get a single name SSL cert: https://www.digicert.com/welcome/ssl-plus.htm

Hi Larry,

Many thanks.  If this goes ahead, as mentioned, this will be my first implementation of a payment feature.  Once we get an SSL certificate, does this mean that all URLs for the website must be HTTPS, or can just the Stripe URL be HTTPS and the others just normal HTTP?

Thanks, and Cheers.

Well, any payment form, whether it uses Checkout or a custom form, needs to be loaded over HTTPS to be PCI compliant. But you don't need that for testing. Which is to say, when I use Stripe from localhost for testing purposes, I don't have HTTPS on localhost (but I don't run real cards through it).