Larry Ullman's Book Forums

In the following code, (I know the if statement isn't complete, I am referring to the part before it)

I am unclear why (int) is used, after using php for over a year I have never really understood when I should use (int). Is it to make sure the returned number is changed from a decimal to an integer??

Please explain why it is used in this block of code. It is from chapter 6 in the ipn.php script.

if (mysqli_num_rows($r) === 0){
				$uid = (isset($_POST['custom'])) ? (int) $_POST['custom'] : 0;
				$status = escape_data($_POST['payment_status'], $dbc);
				$amount = (int) ($_POST['mc_gross'] * 100);
				$q = "INSERT INTO orders (user_id, transaction_id, payment_status, payment_amount) VALUES ($uid, '$txn_id', '$status', $amount)";
				$r = mysqli_query($dbc, $q);
				if (mysqli_affected_rows($dbc) === 1){

}
			}

You use (int)--or any other typecasting function--whenever you want to force data from one type to another. PHP is loosely typed, which means it's not a problem to use a string as an integer, for example. But in the database query, using the wrong type can be problematic. 

In this particular case, $_POST['custom'] comes from a form, which means it's always going to be a string, even if it's a string with a value of "2". The same goes for the amount. The uses of (int) convert these strings to integers for more precise usage (in the multiplication and in the query).