Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Twitter Framework Or Wordpress...

I just purchased your book and have almost made it to the end of chapter two.

Perhaps my biggest concern at this point is, I want to integrate the techniques I learn in "Effortless E-Commerce 2nd Ed" into WordPress themes (at least initially). Am I barking up the wrong tree? I know there's e-commerce plugins out there that can be integrated with WP, but I want to learn e-commerce at the code level.

Thanks for your input... I've got a shelf full of your PHP books but I'm not yet at the developer level with respect to WordPress.

hacker

Hmmm... In theory, what you learn in the e-commerce book could be applicable to WordPress *plug-ins* (not *themes*). Learning how to do your own e-commerce would be useful to understanding how to develop an e-commerce WordPress plug-in, but you'll also need to learn how to develop WordPress plug-ins, which is a separate thread. I would also question how much work and effort you'll have to put in to effectively create an e-commerce WordPress plug-in, i.e., replicating something that already exists. But that's for you to decide!

Larry,

Thank you for the reply.

I am pressed for time so I suppose having a look around the web for an appropriate e-commerce plugin wouldn't hurt. However, since I am not shipping tangible goods, I do not have the need for a traditional e-commerce package.

I was thinking, since at least one WP plugin I installed (IIRC, BuddyPress) added tables to the database I originally set up for WP, I could incorporate additional tables for storing customer account information (less CC numbers) and the data necessary for transmission to a payment gateway (rather than PayPal).

Thanks again,

Don

P.S. Is a 3rd edition of Effortless E-Commerce in the stars, so to speak?

I will presumably do a third edition at some point, but the second edition is only 2 years old at the moment, so there's no current plan for a revision. A third edition wouldn't come out until 2017 at the earliest. 

Sorry! You didn't ask a question, so I didn't think an answer was needed. Um...so the thing is that WordPress development is neither easy nor straightforward. You really have to have excellent PHP skills AND thoroughly understand how WordPress works. You can definitely create other tables, but making use of those via PHP within WordPress isn't obviously do-able. 

My advice is that you should either use WordPress with the plug-ins that will do the trick OR create your own site that does everything custom. But trying to do custom things with WordPress is not something I'd recommend, and is only for very seasoned developers. 

Larry,

In the beginning of your book, you mentioned using the Twitter Framework instead of a third party template (I read Ed.2 quite some time ago) to create the user interface and in my nebulous way, I was asking whether WordPress can be substituted.

That said, you now realize I know less about the Twitter Bootstrap framework than I do about WordPress. :^)

Thanks for your help,

Don 

Sorry...Twitter Bootstrap is a JavaScript/CSS framework that helps in making dynamic websites. It's an entirely different kettle of fish than WordPress, which is an entire framework--including server-side code and a database--for creating a site. The two are not comparable or interchangeable as they serve different purposes.