Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Effortless E-Commerce: Page 53 Create Table Code Download

I recently bought your Effortless e-Commerce book, and it's a great book; I'm truly having fun reading it. Thanks!

On page 53, right before the 'Create Table' code, it says I could download it from your website. I downloaded the zipped files for the two exercises, but can't figure out which one of them is the 'Create Table' code, nor can I find it anywhere on this website. What am I missing? Kindly help. Thanks again for your teaching and support.

- Cynthie.

HI Cynthie,

what software are you using to open the zip download and what operating system, winrar for windows operating system is a good program to use.

once downloaded the code will be in the file named 'sql.sql' as its a sql file you can simply import it into a database using phpmyadmin facilitating the process opposed to copy and pasting each manually.

Thanks again, DavidDawn; I appreciate.
I use Windows 10, and yes, it did unzip fine and I saw the sql.sql file, but when I try to import it into my db I get this error message:
. --------------------
Error
SQL query:
USE `ecommerce1` ;
MySQL said: Documentation
#1044 - Access denied for user 'cynthie'@'localhost' to database 'ecommerce1'
. --------------------
I host on HostGator (share hosting), and this is the phpMyAdmin info:
. --------------------
    Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
    Server type: Percona Server
    Server version: 5.5.42-37.1 - Percona Server (GPL), Release 37.1, Revision 727
    Protocol version: 10
    User: cynthie@localhost
    Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)

Web server:
    cpsrvd 11.52.5.0
    Database client version: libmysql - 5.1.73

phpMyAdmin:
    Version information: 4.3.8, latest stable version: 4.6.0
. --------------------
Hope I gave enough info to help you figure out my predicament.
 - Cynthie.

Hey Cynthie! The commands are meant to be executed directly using the command-line interface. If you're not doing that, you may need to put in a bit more effort. In this case, you wouldn't execute the "USE ecommerce`" line as you'll have already selected the database in phpMyAdmin.

Just as a heads-up, the book doesn't assume basic familiarity with PHP and MySQL. If you find yourself struggling too much, I'd recommend going back and learning the basics.

HI,

I Believe it would be much better in downloading wamp on your computer to work in a web developing environment before hosting on a live web server as you will likely be vulnerable to many attacks due to not having solid code in place.

Also it's free and therefore a much cheaper option.

David

1.    You're right, and I do have xampp on my laptop, and do somethings there first before uploading to the server, but the problem is that the versions of php and mysql on the xampp are way beyond what the hosting company has, so from time to time I run into nagging compatibility issues, like the one I posted here.
2.    I'd also like to say that both the database and sample codes from ecommerce1 are working fine on my laptop.
Thanks again for the tips.
 - Cynthie.