Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Thanks for the nice words! I really appreciate it. For the taxes, the easiest, most foolproof solution is to use a third-party tax calculation service wherein you send them--via an API--the amount, origination address, and destination address, and it returns the taxes to charge.

• 4 weeks later...

I may add you only need to add tax to purchases from same state. If the person lives in a different state than you you do not need to add sales tax.

If you only have locations in one state you can just add thst % to sale if their shipping address is same as your state.

Say you are in Massachusetts and you have a 2.5% sales tax.

IF ( $shipping_address_state == 'MA' ) {

$tax_rate = 0.025; // move decimal 2 places to left.

$sub_total = $100.00; // total price of order.

$tax_total = $sub_total * $tax_rate; // total amount of tax.

$order_total = $sub_total + $tax_total; // total price including tax.

}

I don't think it's that cut-and-dry. There's the "physical presence" law, to which you refer: The current default rule throughout the United States is that you must collect sales tax on Internet sales to customers in those states where your business has a physical presence. However, many states use a broader "nexus" law, which is why, for example, Amazon charges me sales tax even though they don't have a physical presence in my state (as far as I know). There are also different laws for different types of products. For example, virtual goods vs. physical goods. And then many jurisdictions don't tax certain items, like food, clothing, or Bibles.