Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Wasn't trying to sell you more books, but thanks! No plans to do new editions of either of these yet, but consider this a credit for a free book in the future (I'll give you one of my free copies)!

Hi Larry

I noticed you have a new version of PHP for the web coming out! Will there be anything new you cover in the latest edition?

• 3 weeks later...

as mentioned in the into of this edition , here is what is new :

1-All examples now use HTML5.

2- The MySQL code uses the most current version of PHP’s MySQL extension(i guess that is Mysqli).

3- We cover PHP 7, as applicable.

4- tweaked some of the examples

Sorry for the delay; was on vacation. Yes, what John wrote is correct (Thanks!). There's not much in the way of truly new material so much as the entire book being updated for the latest standards and versions. 

Sorry for the delay; was on vacation. Yes, what John wrote is correct (Thanks!). There's not much in the way of truly new material so much as the entire book being updated for the latest standards and versions. 

i advice you to read on mysqli if you don't want to get the newer version.

• 1 year later...

I just finished the book (it was great :) ) and now I'm thinking about getting your other book PHP Advanced and Object-Oriented Programming. I noticed it's from 2012, though... is it still worth buying or should I wait for a new edition?

Thanks for the nice words on the book and for the interest in another! This is a tough one... I don't have another edition planned right now, which means the soonest one would come out would be 2019. The material obviously doesn't cover the changes in PHP 7, which do largely touch upon the object-oriented stuff. So the book is not entirely up to date but it's also not entirely outdated. I'm pretty sure almost all, if not all, the code in the book would work under PHP 7, it just doesn't take advantage of everything PHP 7 has to offer. 

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1