Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Select Statement Using Mysqli Extension

I think the SELECT statement is based on SQL, not the MySQL extension, but anyway, here are some examples:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE id=3;

SELECT car_model, car_color FROM cars WHERE type='Porsche';

SELECT field-names-separated-by-commas FROM table-name WHERE field-name=value ORDER BY field-name ASC/DESC LIMIT x, y;

Also, you can add JOIN statements into the mix, etc., but for basic SELECT statements, the above should suffice.

• Upvote 1

I think the SELECT statement is based on SQL, not the MySQL extension, but anyway, here are some examples:

SELECT * FROM users WHERE id=3;

SELECT car_model, car_color FROM cars WHERE type='Porsche';

SELECT field-names-separated-by-commas FROM table-name WHERE field-name=value ORDER BY field-name ASC/DESC LIMIT x, y;

Also, you can add JOIN statements into the mix, etc., but for basic SELECT statements, the above should suffice.

I think I read in the book that we can write select statement mysqli extension so we don't use the mysqli_real_escape_string to escape values.

Not sure if I am write :)

The mysqli_real_escape_string() function is used for an INSERT or an UPDATE — or similar queries that involve inserting data into the database — so as to avoid problematic characters. You don't need it to retrieve data with a SELECT query.

Were you thinking of prepared statements that avoid the use of the mysqli_real_escape_string() function? (That's covered in chapter 12, "Preventing SQL Injection Attacks".)

The mysqli_real_escape_string() function is used for an INSERT or an UPDATE — or similar queries that involve inserting data into the database — so as to avoid problematic characters. You don't need it to retrieve data with a SELECT query.

Were you thinking of prepared statements that avoid the use of the mysqli_real_escape_string() function? (That's covered in chapter 12, "Preventing SQL Injection Attacks".)

I am making a registration page and I need to use the select statement to check if username exists or not, so in this case I need to escape the value coming from the user.

If you want to use a prepared statement, then please follow the explanation in Larry's book, or Google something like "PHP prepared statements". You'll get plenty of good, relevant hits.

I already know how to use the insert and update prepare statement, but for some reason I can't use the select one.

I searched on the internet and followed the instruction but it fives me an error.

This is what I want to do

$Q = " SELECT username FROM users Where username = '$username' ";

$R = mysqli_query($con, $Q);

if(mysqli_num_rows($R) !=0){

echo "The username you have chosen already taken";

}

Can any one rewrite it using the prepared statement?

Hi bahaa, i'm not sure is this is what you are looking for but give a try.

$q = " SELECT username FROM users WHERE username = ? ";
             $stmt = mysqli_prepare ($con, $q);
             mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, 's', $username);
           mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);
if(mysqli_stmt_num_rows($stmt) != 0){
         echo "<p class='error'> The username you have chosen is already taken.</p>";
}else{
                          //something else 
}

Hope this help or get you on the right track.

Hi bahaa, i'm not sure is this is what you are looking for but give a try.

$q = " SELECT username FROM users WHERE username = ? ";
             $stmt = mysqli_prepare ($con, $q);
             mysqli_stmt_bind_param($stmt, 's', $username);
           mysqli_stmt_execute($stmt);
if(mysqli_stmt_num_rows($stmt) != 0){
         echo "<p class='error'> The username you have chosen is already taken.</p>";
}else{
                          //something else 
}

Hope this help or get you on the right track.

i get this error

mysqli_bind_param() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_stmt, boolean given

Do you using a proper connection to the database for example.

$q = " SELECT username FROM user WHERE username = ?";
$stmt = mysqli_prepare($dbc, $q); 

Yes, I use the proper connection.

If the connection is properly defined, you can use echo mysqli_connect_error() to see if something went wrong and you are not getting connected to the database.

I don't have any problem with the connection. I have other queries on the same page and they work fine.

So your $stmt variable probably has a FALSE value, meaning that mysqli_prepare() failed. This is either because there's a problem with your connection or with the query. I don't know that this would cause the problem, but I'd start by removing the extraneous spaces you have in the query string. You can then include code that checks $stmt and if it has a false value, you call the mysqli_error() function.