Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I've been struggling the past couple days to create the routine that Larry mentions on page 575 of Chapter 13 to set up Site Administration.

I added the "administrator" column as an unsigned TINYINT and assigned the users I want as administrators with 1 and 0 for all common users.

This is the code I've tried in the footer.html:

<?php # Script 13.2 - footer.html

// This page completes the HTML template

// Display links based upon the login status.

// Show LOGIN links if this is the LOGOUT page.

if (isset($_SESSION['user_id']) AND ($_GET['administrator'] == 1) AND (substr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], -10) != 'logout.php')) {

echo '<a href="logout.php">Logout</a><br />

<a href="change_password.php">Change Password</a><br />

<a href="view_users.php"</a><br />

';

} elseif (isset($_SESSION['user_id']) AND ($_GET['administrator'] == 0) AND (substr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], -10) != 'logout.php')) {

echo '<a href="logout.php">Logout</a><br />

<a href="change_password.php">Change Password</a><br />

';

} else { // Not logged in.

echo '<a href="register.php">Register</a><br />

<a href="login.php">Login</a><br />

<a href="forgot_password.php">Forgot Password</a><br />

';

}

?>

From a syntax perspective, I don't see any errors, but obviously it doesn't work. I get an "undefined index: administrator" error.

I want the administrators to see view_users.php and edit_user.php, etc.

I haven't got this version of the book to look at the page directly but why would you be looking in the $_GET array for that kind of information? Surely it would be inside the variable you assign your query results to - or more likely in the $_SESSION array once the admin user has logged in?

• Upvote 1

The error is because you are referencing the $_GET array, which is passed as key/value pairs in the url. So if your script doesn't end with 'filename.php?administrator=#', then the index won't be defined. But as Stuart said, administrator should be set during login from a database query and should be saved to the $_SESSION array.

Side note: Using a $_GET parameter to define an administrator is very insecure. Any logged in user would just need to add "?administrator=1" to their url to become an administrator.

Hope that helps.

-matthaus