Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Php Or Mysql For My Task

Hi everyone,

I am currently reading this book, PHP Visual 4th addition. I noticed that PHP can make arrays and multidementional arrays. This is of course new to me. My question revolves around what I am trying to accomplish. What I want to do is allow website visitors to browse my various poems on my site and pick one and so on and maybe browse some more and on and on.

I thought I could make a database with MySQL for a simple list of poems that would be accessible to visitors as they visit my website. I don't know a lot about MySQL except what I read in the last couple of chapters in this book, so my question is this: Should I go ahead and try MySQL or should I just use php to create an array or a multidimensional array for website visitors to access my data with?

I ask because as I don't know a lot about MySQL, I am not sure if it is a tool more suited for website visitors who are expected to enter data(log in and password) as opposed to just accessing my data (poems) and I wasn't sure which (php/MySQL) is best for my task.

Thank you,

Randy

You can do either really. It depends on how long your poems are and how many you have. It would probably be cleaner to use MYSQL rather than having a multitude of potentially long arrays. I would also suggest that using MYSQL would also you to take advantage of a great tool that you may find useful in conjunction with you PHP skills. It isn't solely for inputting data, many people use it just to display items or objects.

You can do either really. It depends on how long your poems are and how many you have. It would probably be cleaner to use MYSQL rather than having a multitude of potentially long arrays. I would also suggest that using MYSQL would also you to take advantage of a great tool that you may find useful in conjunction with you PHP skills. It isn't solely for inputting data, many people use it just to display items or objects.

Thank you for the feedback. You have convinced me.