Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Dunno :P

I guess it's about thinking about problems and solutions. Larry mentioned he spent 2 years studying it and put his prowess down to that. So it seemed a good thing to try and learn about. But If you don't really know what it is, it's a bit hard to know that what your looking at is relevant. Think some people call it first order logic too. But I'm not sure

By symbolic logic I mean propositional logic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propositional_logic), which is on a lower level (i.e., easier to grasp) than first-order logic. I don't know that there's a direct correlation between propositional logic and programming (there is between first-order logic and programming). But what I ascribe to first-order logic, which has aided me, is the ability to look at things rationally, without being confused or misdirected by immaterial issues. It's a valuable, but hard to teach, skill that makes debugging much easier.

Thanks for getting back to me Larry. I'll look into it, I'm quite interested in those sort of topics anyway so I'd read it out of intrigue and if it does aid in programming too then that's a double bonus.

Thanks

Jonathon

Larry makes a good point in regards to debugging, but I also think it plays a large factor in writing code as well. I think that's why Larry's code is always so easy to read and straightforward, but yet so powerful.

I think the key is boiling any process down to the bare essentials, and then building up a system from there.

Edit: I was not attempting to kiss ass there, even though it seemed like it when I re-read my post.