Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Need Help With Os And Browser Support

Hello,

It's been less than an hour now thinking of where to post this topic. To start of with, I only know how to code php. I use a wyswyg to get my html coded (and others). So here's the thing:

As Adobe turn greedy now, Adobe Flash doesn't have support for most postable devices that people use as their website browsing material these days. As a website developere's challenge. I wanted to achieve on how to I get value passed from client-side to server side automatically.

In specifics to this question, I need to ask you guys if you know a way where the server would know the client's OS and Browser. I saw from another website that it has a widget (of some sort) saying your OS is: and Your browser is:. I tested it using different browsers, and different OS, finally tested mobile devices and play gadgets like nintendo browsers etc. The results using PC is perfect, Mobile Devices have a passing rate, playing devices are poor.

Despite that, I wanted to somehow use if($YourOS is 'IOS4') { header("Location: noflash.php" } . This way I can even designate where the viewer accompanied by their browsing devices be thrown at. Note that I only know PHP no javascript knowledge of some sort.

Thanks for hearing me out. Even if my question is a silly one because man it really feels like its too complicated for me.

I use this script I found on the internet. You might like to start with this. It's too long to post and not appropriate to post this copied code, I would suppose. You should be able to search for it. I only use it to detect windows from opera and firefox but I would think something similar would work for your others.

Script Name: Simple 'if' PHP Browser detection

Author: Harald Hope, Website: http://TechPatterns.com/

Script Source URI: http://TechPatterns.com/downloads/php_browser_detection.php

Version 2.0.2

Copyright © 29 June 2007

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under

the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software

Foundation; either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.