Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Vps Hosting - Servint

I would really appreciate some feedback about this from Larry or anyone else who has used Servint.

I have decided to take Larry's advice and get VPS hosting simply to avoid future headaches with server issues but I am wondering just how easy (or not) it is to setup a VPS account so that it is secure and performs well.

In the book, Larry mentions a firewall being one of the minimal requirements which seems sensible. I have been in touch with Servint who say that their VPS does not come with a firewall installed as many of their customers do not want or need a firewall, though they would install one for me which I would have to configure myself. This puzzles me - why would anyone not want a firewall?

Basically, what I would like to know is what I am letting myself in for with VPS in terms of configuring a firewall and installing/uninstalling software and whatever else is needed to get a PHP/MySQL site up and running securely. Though I have picked up bits here and there about server configuration, I'm not an expert on it so I'm a bit apprehensive about spending an excessive amount of time on figuring out VPS permutations when I still have a lot of work to do on the website itself!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sorry for not replying myself earlier; slipped through the cracks. The thing about a VPS is that you can install whatever you want, and ServInt provides amazing support. But your fears are warranted: you'll need to learn a bit and pay attention. I've not kept up with server security nearly as much as I should (it's on my ongoing to-do list). But the flexibility is nice. So you'll need to think about how much work you want to put in and weigh that against the freedom. But if you do do VPS, ServInt is highly recommended!