Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Https For Ipn.Php

I had the same question myself. An SSL certificate is required to take advantage of HTTPS protocol. If you don't want to buy the certificate you'll need to modify your scripts. What you'll first need to do is comment out lines 10 and 11 from your .htcaccess file. These lines rewrite the admin, checkout and billing URLs to HTTPS.

In your checkout.php script, after validation is ran and your sessions are created, you need to change your code:

$location = 'https://'.BASE_URL.'billing.php';

header("Location:$location");

exit();

Change the HTTPS to HTTP.

You'll also need to make this change to the redirects in billing.php

• Upvote 1

I have some questions for those of you using paypal without an SSL.

Have you noticed any issues sending and receiving data back and forth from paypal without the SSL? Such as rejected calls etc?

What method are you using to do this and are you using the basic version, paypal express etc..?

curl, html encoded urls?

Tbanks.

It's really not prudent to use the IPN without SSL: too much data is being transmitted in the open if you do that. If you're doing e-commerce, I think you just need to accept the additional cost of having SSL. Besides, you might want SSL for your admin pages or elsewhere. It's only a couple of hundred dollars and the lack of SSL will cost you more in the long run (due to lost sales and the inevitable security violation).

Yeah, I looked into what my host offers. For 100.00 per year I can get an SSL with dedicated IP all setup and configured for me Per domain.

Once I get to the testing stages of my scripts and get my products in place, I will order that up and be ready.

fyi, I just ordered Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL as well as the Building a Web Site with Ajax: Visual QuickProject from Amazon earlier this morning.

Should be here sometime Friday.

Thanks.