Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Creating Facebook Style Pages

Well, Facebook in particular requires HTML, CSS, and JavaScript for the client-side of things, not counting graphics work. I believe Facebook uses PHP for the server-side, although it's possible they use more than one language. In general, common server-side languages include Python, Ruby, and Java. You'll also need to understand SQL, the language used to communicate with a database application, and you'll need to learn the fundamentals of the database application itself (such as MySQL or I believe Facebook uses Cassandra). Also, with the demands of a site like Facebook in particular, there is plenty to learn in terms of managing a server, DNS, CDNs, database replication, and so forth.

Facebook is a really high standard, so do understand that using Facebook as a model or goal is a target akin to you or I trying to land a spaceship on the moon. I would focus on your more immediate, practical goals, and also divide up the tasks based upon your abilities and skills (e.g., learn front-end or back-end development, not both).

I would also add that major websites use a lot of services through the use of XML and JSON. For example, look at how google uses google maps api (application programming interface). Also, Facebook has many complicated components. For example, it sounds easy to have a site that uploads videos, but one would have to have a conversion script or engine for almost every video format that users upload. Also, sites like facebook and linkedin have that registration form on the front page where user selects Country, Province/State, and City. Scripts like that can cost up to $300 for a sql database file of like 86,000 cities. If you do not use a sql file, you would have to manually code every state and city in php files. I think my point is that trying to build the best website would one be very expensive and very very time consuming and not to mention the maintenance.

I would recommend to focus on a few niches. I like to focus on e-commerce using ipn with Paypal and eventually learn how to write custom ipn scripts to fit my sites. I would also recommend learning to build content management systems from scratch. This is my favorite hobby. My middle name is CRUD. Just a joke. Hope this helps.