Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Same Questions...

Lou

Larry and others...

Do you get tired of answering the same questions over and over? I've been visiting this forum a lot over the past two years and have noticed the same exact questions over and over. i don't think I'd ever be a good instructor, because it drives me mad just reading the questions on here. Users don't list what version of PHP or MySQL they're using, whether or not they're using a local server or web host, and just download the code without understanding the basics and expect things to work 100%. I can't imagine what kind of web sites these people are creating...

Hey Lou,

I think I can safely say I don't get tired of answering the same questions over and over, so long as they're coming from different people. If anything, I take that as an indication that I need to do my job better (i.e., make this more clear, emphasize that, etc.). I do get annoyed telling the same person the same thing over and over again.

And, of course, a little humility is always good, as I've no doubt been one of those people a time or two, but perhaps in other areas.

I think questions would be reduced if readers spent more time on the text. When I was starting, I rushed through the text and started coding right away and made some dumb, dumb mistakes. I *thought* I knew enough to start building and creating code, but clearly I didn't. For example, I started writing code on Notepad, then when there were errors, got lost trying to count the lines! I thought I'd never be a programmer.... Then I realized Notepad plus, PHPEdit, and of course Netbeans make things so much easier. And actually rereading your chapters makes thing stick much more. I always pick up something new.

It's funny that you say that. By the time I went from the first edition to my first book to the second, I had learned a lot about writing, and thought I had made some great improvements to the second edition. It's at that time that I realized that I do lots of things as a writer, except make sure the reader actually reads everything I write!