Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Discussing Content Of A Third Party Forum

Hello Larry,

I already checked the guidelines before posting this question and found no answer to this topic. Sometimes we come across an issue or information in another forum, e.g. another PHP/MysQl forum, and think of posting it in this forum for getting help or to benefit others. Is this acceptable or there is restriction on addressing topics related to a third party forum?

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Silver, for checking the forum guidelines and for checking with me. Very thoughtful of you. My main concern is that people are getting the help that they need and it certainly doesn't have to be from me or this forum. If there's something useful elsewhere, then by all means post a link to it here. Thanks for thinking of others and, again, for checking first.

Many thanks Larry for flexibility and nice words.

One PHP forum has included the following clause in its Terms of Service: "You agree that by creating any content using the Service that you will grant the Company (the forum)a perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide, transferable, non-exclusive, royalty free license to use said content."

May Larry or other friends please explain what this forum means by this clause. Does it mean that any member must pay them from the proceeds of any e.commerce business he/she creates, or if used a complete code/script? Is there any hidden implications or unforeseen risks? Can one safely avail their services if one does not copy a code/script exactly as it is, or is it always better to stay away from such forums? If anybody heard of any legal case that has arisen from similar forums in the past, we would be grateful in sharing it.

I noticed you did say it is a forum. If the site provides you with a website to sell your products then I have seen a similar statement which I interpreted to mean they could sell my product, any way they wanted (and I would have to provide fulfillment).

I couldn't edit my post. The error message was:

ReferenceError: CKEDITOR is not defined

and this error has occurred before.