Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Code Theft

As everybody knows developing a site for business may take weeks or even months, during which the code remains in the text editor. With all information thefts and computer hacking that are taking place on personal computers, one is concerned how to protect the code inside the text editor. I would appreciate some help on the following:

1. Is there a risk of hacking the code saved in a text editor? How is that possible?
  2. What should we do to prevent the stealing of such codes?

You are right Jonathan. Say we save our files in a folder in XAMPP, htdocs. Are they 100% safe against theft/hacking there? I am also wondering if they might be vulnerable to theft/hacking by XAMPP itself. What steps do professionals take to ensure that while we program our website, it would always be protected from hackers?

Nothing is ever 100% safe. You have to understand and accept that to begin. The files are as safe as any other files on your computer. I have no idea what you mean about the files being vulnerable to theft by XAMPP. My attitude is this:

- You need to protect your computer because it's your computer and you don't want people stealing stuff. Code you're writing is just some of the stuff on your computer, and no one's trying to steal that.

- If you were writing software that someone might want to steal, you're already working for Google or a bank or whomever, and all of the software is being written on internal company computers that are being thoroughly protected.

- You're much more likely to have problems because your computer crashes. Making regular backups is more important.

- As Jonathon points out, the real security concern is having holes in your code or server that makes the server vulnerable when the site goes live.