Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Illegal Mix Of Collations

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_unicode_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

That is the exact error I get when I try to add a product to the cart. I added the testing code to the "add_to_cart" call, and the above error is displaying.

$r = mysqli_query($dbc, "CALL add_to_cart('$uid','$sp_type',$pid,1)");
if(!$r) echo mysqli_error($dbc);

What would be causing this? Obviously it is something that I am doing wrong, or else the forums would be blown up with posts asking this question. I Google'd it and got quite a few vague answers. Any ideas? If anyone needs anything else to figure out the problem (code snippets, explanations) just ask.

That means that the collation used to define the database, table, and column is different than the collation used to perform the query on the database, which is why MySQL can't do an equality test. I would confirm what collation and charset was used to define the database, table, and column in question and then confirm what charset the PHP script is communicating with MySQL using.

The collation dictates how words are sorted and compared and such. That's in MySQL and isn't a PHP issue (here). You can determine the character set being used by PHP to communicate with MySQL by establishing that after connecting to the database.

I have checked all the columns and they are all set to utf8_general_ci. However when I run the procedure I still get the Illegal Mix of Collations error. Here is the exact code in the procedure:

DELIMITER $$
CREATE PROCEDURE add_to_cart (uid CHAR(32), type VARCHAR(6), pid MEDIUMINT, qty TINYINT)
BEGIN
DECLARE cid INT;
SELECT id INTO cid FROM carts WHERE user_session_id=uid AND product_type=type AND product_id=pid;
IF cid > 0 THEN
UPDATE carts SET quantity=quantity+qty, date_modified=NOW() WHERE id=cid;
ELSE
INSERT INTO carts (user_session_id, product_type, product_id, quantity) VALUES (uid, type, pid, qty);
END IF;
END$$
DELIMITER ;

Sorry it took so long to get back, I was out of town for the weekend.

Well I fixed the problem. The problem was that for whatever reason, the 'uid' was being read as utf8_unicode_ci instead of utf8_general_ci. So wherever it mentioned 'uid' I changed it to read

CONVERT(uid USING utf8) COLLATE utf8_general_ci

and it fixed it. Now the queries run just fine. Only problem is the cart stays empty haha >.> I will work on that problem for a while though before I ask for help. Thanks Larry!

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have come up against this issue as well and tried what Andrew T suggested (thanks). That seemed to work on the get_shopping_cart_contents stored procedure as I can now display the shopping cart but I get the same error when I try to remove an item or add an item to the cart

Illegal mix of collations (utf8_general_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) for operation '='

This is a bit technical for me so apologies in advance for my stupid questions...

Which collation is PHP using and which collation is MySQL using? In phpmyadmin it looks as if mysql defaults to utf_swedish but i have defined the tables and fields as utf_general? I'm not sure where to look to find out which collation PHP is using. Do I need to convert the collation for every instance of every variable in the stored procedures - e.g. $uid and $sp_type are strings and $pid and $qty are integers - is collation different on strings v numbers?

Thanks for any suggestions!

The character set used by PHP is set in the database connection script. Check what columns use an equality comparison in that procedure, and then go into phpMyAdmin and make sure that both are using UTF8. This is only an issue for string columns.