Larry Ullman's Book Forums

ok I'm trying to find away to eliminate the bleeding effect of no spaces when entered into a database and being returned into a table.

eg. say someone for the hell of it uses no spaces for a very long string, when returned in a table it bleeds the page for that cell.

I've tried using width controls with percent values in the html td tags still bleeds.

I want my pages to fit exactly inside the browser window with no horizontal scroll bars I use 1% margin on my main body content in css like margin:1% 1% 1% 1%;

and in the tag its like this <td align="center" width="25"%> </td>

so if someone enters a run-on word into an input field it doesn't break it for the td's width it stretches it right to the end of the run-on word.

???????

As for your first question, it depends on how long is your very long string with no spaces. For instance, these two layouts work with not too long strings. But if you test them with strings twice or three times longer in the third column, it won't work, for apparently browsers don't know how to break a string with no spaces at all.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Table</title>
<style type="text/css" media="all">
 table tr td, table tr th { border: 1px solid gray; padding: 10px; }
 table.shrinkwrap { table-layout: auto; width: auto; border-collapse: collapse; }
 table.fixedwidth { table-layout: auto; width: 700px; border-collapse: collapse; }
 table tr td.auto-width { width: auto; }
 table.fixedwidth tr td.col100 {width: 100px; }
</style>
</head>
<body>
<table class="shrinkwrap">
<tr>
 <th>Column 1</th>
 <th>Column 2</th>
 <th>Column 3 long string</th>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td class="auto-width">this and that and the other</td>
 <td class="auto-width">00301020</td>
 <td class="auto-width">Loremipsumdolorsitamet,consectetueradipiscingelit,seddiamnonummynibheuis.</td>
</tr>
</table>
<hr />
<table class="fixedwidth">
<tr>
 <th>Column 1</th>
 <th>Column 2</th>
 <th>Column 3 long string</th>
</tr>
<tr>
 <td class="col100">this and that and the other</td>
 <td class="col100">00301020</td>
 <td class="auto-width">Loremipsumdolorsitamet,consectetueradipiscingelit,seddiamnonummynibheuis.</td>
</tr>
</table>
</body>
</html>

I'm not an html expert, for sure, but these are the ideas I have, in case I had such a problem, what I would try.

For the bleeding, maybe you could try to place the text inside of some other entity. Such as a text editor box (maybe even a form textarea). Think of an application that would handle the text for you. Otherwise, probably the only thing you can do is parse it yourself and break it with spaces. (Think like the html program 'thinks'. It expects to see 'ordinary' things. It doesn't try to handle everything and anything but it tries to deal well with the usual and common.)

For your second problem, you should test this when you have no bleeding text. The bleeding text and certain other errors will cause very odd placement of other sections on the page.

• 2 weeks later...

even without the bleeding the footer still shows above the last 2 div blocks, and in my stylesheet the footer's styling is the last thing run, still don't understand why its doing it it should be a table of comments, then a textarea to add a comment and then the end of the body content then the footer. instead it goes footer, comments, commentbox.

as for the bleeding again is there a way to do a preg match and check for no spaces in $_POST? or even simpler just check to see if no spaces exist in the field at all?