Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Dreamweaver, Php, Mysql Setup...

I am very new to this whole PHP ~ MySQL testing server thing, so bear with me.

I have installed XAMPP to it's default location (C:\XAMPP\). Using Dreamweaver 5.5, in the Define New Site, I am looking at the 'Site Setup for...' window. Under Version Control, I have

Access: Subversion

Protocol:HTTP

Server Address: localhost

Repository Path: ??????

Server Port: 80

User Name: **********

Password: ***********

I keep getting errors in the Repository Path. How should this be setup? So far everything is set to run from 'C:\XAMPP\htdocs\'

I know this may be beyond the scope of the forums here, but I get too overloaded with Google searches and the 9 book course load I have now.

does anyone have a quick 'How-To' for this so that I can test Larry's php code and revamp it to my needs?

Thanks for everything Larry. Your book has taken my understanding WAAYYYY beyond what my other 3 for PHP MySQL have taught.

Todd

Thanks for the nice words, Todd. Unfortunately, I'm not a DW person (and isn't that a very old version?), so I can't offer much in the way of specific help. Except to say that I don't think you need version control at all.

I don't think you need to use the subversion for it to work.

On my site setup for .....

in the site tab i have the:

Site name = 'what ever you want to call it'

local site folder = 'C:\xampp\htdocs\'

the servers tab i have:

Server name = 'localhost'

Connect using 'Local/Network'

Server folder = 'C:\xampp\htdocs\'

Web URL = 'http://localhost/'

Make sure that the "Testing" box is highlighted also

Version control = Access = None

That's about it really, works for me, hope it helps

Thanks to both of you. I found the answer, funny, in PHP 6 and MySQL 5 by none other then Larry Ullman (I know I've heard that name somewhere?!).

ok that said, i've have just downloaded the zip's for comparison to what i've scripted and the includes > 'mysql.inc.php' file does not appear to be in the zip folder. did i miss something or should i just keep reading?

Jonathon, you are correct. DW Site setup needs to be pointed into the htdocs\* site name* with the reference set to site root for the correct location when sent to server.

Give me 4 months and i'll be able to answer questions like a pro, well almost:)

using;

-Dreamweaver 5.5 (latest ver.)

-XAMPP 1.7.7 (latest ver.)

ok that said, i've have just downloaded the zip's for comparison to what i've scripted and the includes > 'mysql.inc.php' file does not appear to be in the zip folder. did i miss something or should i just keep reading?

Depending upon what chapter you're talking about, the instructions in the book may be to use a MySQL file from a previous chapter.