Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Show Us Your Projects!

Antonio Conte

Never heard of it. Sound interesting, but I do not have the time for such events right now. I'm currently working on a large car advertisement system for a company through school, and the deadline is coming shortly. We are soon to enter the user testing phase, with release not soon after. I work on it solo, so I have little time to spear right now. :P

I will definitely give your guys a tour later on. It's in Norwegian, but I'll provide translations for you.

Appsterdam is a community not an event. It's been started by an ex Silicon Valley developer who wanted to create a developer community with a different vibe to Silicon Valley. Could be an option when you finish school and its not tooo far from Scandinavia.

New Projects - I've been asked to quote for a site that provides functionality similar to http://en.parkopedia.co.uk/ Before I reply that I'm the wrong person I wonder if anyone knows how to go about learning about location based services.

margaux, you need to use the HTML5 Geolocation API. It's surprisingly easy and can easily be linked with the Google Maps API.

I was playing with it once for a potential project and after some basic experimentation more or less had it all down.

There's plenty of documentation out there too.

Don't let your current lack of knowledge of the API stop you from a potential job, as it really is easy.

We all can help you if need be too.

Thanks HartleySan, I will give it a go when I finish my current project. I tried to use good practices such as (some) rwd, html5 which didnt work overly well and templates (thanks Larry, I used alot of the techniques from your ecommerce book). The client is pleased with the overall look but they haven't looked at it in IE :( and it falls down, badly in IE7.

So if anyone wants to suggest improvements to the site for IE, I'm all ears - particularly the top and bottom navigation and why the top navigation is not picking up the font-family and highlighting the nav item for the current page. Works okay in modern browsers.

Thanks Antonio for your comments. I thought fontdeck took care of the different font file extensions. The computer I'm using to test on IE is not mine so its difficult to use as I dont know how it is set up. But when I look at this site on IE8 initially it looks okay, then as I navigate to different pages, the top nav loses the font and horizontal layout but if I refresh it renders correctly so I"m not sure if its working or not.

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys just checking In again. Sorry I've been away from the forums for a while. But, life happens right. My project is going a little slower than I though. But I hit a milestone last night.

I successfully coded (learned / and in the process of learning still).

The facebook-php sdk (API I think I am naming it correctly).

It is surprisingly simple yet very complex.

I created a facebook app, interfaced the Login, requested post wall permissions, and posted a picture to my facebook wall.

http://blu.re/mKTb This link shows my timeline and the picture of a blurry Mark Z. ... lol

If you click the link "see only this picture" and zoom in on the top of the picture it says, "via blurE.com"

Although I still have to integrate the code fully into my album script.php,

I am totally excited about this functionality because now my friends and family that Have blurE accounts can send pictures to

facebook, and Pinterest. Next up will be twitter. Or create a mobile version. I still don't know yet.

It all started by reading a nice book on PHP, written by of course, the owner of this forum!

Thanks Guys

J.P.

• 4 weeks later...

Cool app David John.

Thanks Red!

I have made a little more progress, I now have a sign-up with facebook feature. Which is pretty neat in the fact that you don't have to remember yet another password.  It has been definitely a learning experience. Which I feel has helped me understand php and the facebook api.

All thought no one uses my site other than my wife and I like having a site to work on and of course practice the skills of which I am learning. There is so much to learn and so little time.

I also made a like button for my picture page. I had just recently found a picture that I though was lost forever. It was of my best friend, myself and Joe Satriani. My friend was suppose to have a guitar lesson with him but we got lost in the city and had to settle for just a Picture... :(

http://blu.re/5Yw7

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone!! how y'all doing.. It has been fun learning javascript. I've actually been working on javascript more that php lately. Just wanted to show a small page I've been working on. This page takes an image and resizes it based on the browser window size vs picture dimensions. It will even resize the picture if the window is resized and it keeps the proper image ratio, and fades the background color to black. http://blure.com/test/viewport_works_not_min.php

How does it look in your browser?

jp :D

Thanks.. I did think of using css3 however it was not working for IE7 and I wanted to make the code work on the old laptop I was working on.  All devices I have tested the code on has worked so far, so I am pretty happy with the fade. It was more of a "will this work?" type approach to the fade. I got it to work.

Cool. Glad you got it working.

Certainly, if old IE is a requirement for a site, you will have to use JS for things like fade effects, but honestly, I'm now of the opinion that because the number of users using old IE these days is so low, you're better off just going with the CSS3 transition (which is a lot easier and shorter to code and requires less CPU processing power) and not bothering with fancy visual effects for users of old IE.

When it comes to old IE, I think I'm better than most designers in that I actually care and try to provide a decent experience for old IE, but visual effects that are purely there for appearance like a fade is not something I'm going to waste time and code on.

I'd rather keep the file sizes down for mobile devices, which are far more plentiful and important in this day and age than old IE.

Anyway, just my two cents. As a thought exercise though, creating a visual effect in JS is always good practice.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Since this is a "SHOW US YOUR PROJECTS" post I figure I would post something else that I have been working on.  Its not 100% programming related but computer related, yes; yes it is. http://blu.re/VDF5

Dell POWEREDGE 1950 web server. Generously provided to me from an internet company here in the Bay Area.

I can now host all of my websites here at home on my 30mpbs internet connection. I have ubuntu 12.04 server and set up virtual hosting, currently hosting two domains.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guys, Just thought it would be a great experience to try and set up a server. I have tried the GoDaddy.com virtual servers but they limit your bandwidth and disk space and cost like 39.99 a month and up. Larry your right, hosting a site from a house is not recommended. But it is pretty fun, and a great learning exp.

jp