Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Show Us Your Projects!

Antonio Conte

Hello, everybody

It would be nice to know see what you've been able to create over the years. Show us your projects, and tell us a little bit about what you've done.

Hope somebody else want to share. It's time to brag a little bit among friends about what you've achieved over the years. :)

To start off the thread, here are some of mine:

Juventus Norge - http://juvenorge.com

1003874.jpeg

Description: A fansite for my favorite football club, Juventus F.C. This is my retarded love child. Been developing on it for over three years now. This is where I use most of my time on the Internet. The community has grown to about 350 really active contributors, and a lot of us meet face-to-face to share our love for this great football club. We have also managed to become an official fan club, and are distributing match tickets for our favorite club.

Work: Backend systems, front-end programming and design, forum modifications and day-to-day management of the company.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real Zaragoza Fans - http://rzfans.net

1003883.jpeg

Description: Another football site. This is a fan site, in english, dedicated to the spanish club Real Zaragoza . Although, it's a small site, it's driven by a small number of people who would like to share their passion for the club. It was developed over last summer, with a re-design around Christmas.

Work: Built on Textpattern. Front-end programming and design and forum templating.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's a good attitude to have. From doing this for some years, I can say that people tend to come and go. They'll be here for a while, and then move onto something new. But we didn't have this social forum before, so maybe it will have long term benefits!

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

I like the examples 'Antonio Conte' as provided since I am also a football fan as well and it's also good to show what projects you have done as well.

I tried to create my own custom theme in Wordpress and it took me hours, I have it up and running at http://www.webzoost.com.

Can I ask what are the differences between TextPattern and Wordpress Antonio ? (I am not looking at developing plugins but I am someone who likes to change the HTML/CSS to make it fit my requirements and then just install plugins that I need).

Regards

• Upvote 1

They are pretty similar. Textpattern is like a scaled down version of Wordpress. You don't have themes or pages, but else they are pretty much the same. I would recommend wordpress really, but we are currently locked to TXP due to the football system. I'm working on building those kind of systems myself, and then I think a switch to Wordpress/something similar will happen.

Nice theme btw. :)

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...

Thanks, Jaepee. Have done some redesigns on those sites over the years, and I can tell you now, they weren't that nice in the beginning. I'm not really much of a designer. The best thing I've done is the logo at juvenorge.com. Really proud of that one. :)

Looking forward to see your projects.

• 5 weeks later...

Okay Well I have spent most of the summer coding actualy (since December) and learning how to code PHP. Along the way I have learned HTML, CSS, dabbling still in Javascript, jQuery, objective-C (want to program my Mac ) MySql and well thats about it. My project I figured I would share it now, it's http://blurE.com/ (itsblurry.com) Its a picture hosting application. It's almost usable and 100% hand coded using Textmate and the PHP I've learn from Larry's books. So I thought I'd share it. Suggestions are Welcome.

http://blure.com/sha...FujS7VAobTy.jpg Here is a Picture I took East of Yosemite Nat'l Park

I also have a url shortener http://blu.re/ which I would like to incorporate somehow to make picture sharing more url friendly than the above link..

Thanks Guys

j.p.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Guys. Its still a work in progress. But is a website ever really done? I would venture to say, No. At least I'm finally doing something creative since I've had the domain for 13 years now... I guess I am not procrastinating any longer. One thing I am proud of is that I coded/integrated in the album script a Pin It button that users can Instantly Pin their pictures to pinterest.com

J.P.

• 1 month later...

Suprisingly I see all kinds of people using iPads, iPhones, and iMac laptops at Google. Although the Chief engineer of facilites has a Samsung Galaxy S3, He asked to see my iPhone 4s and he said he liked it better than the Android...lol.

The buses pick up workers from all over the valley and bus them in to work. All have wifi and they can start work from inside the bus. It's amazing how spoiled those Googlers are!!! Everyone gets free food, 2 meals a day, all kinds of perks. I guess its an awesome gig if you want to write code for 75+ hrs a week. Check this link out they put a race car in their building http://blu.re/psHv

I'm sure most of the people on these boards who want to be Web developers would love to work at Google/Apple, etc., but honestly, I wouldn't.

Sure, there are definite perks, no doubt, but somehow, I just couldn't get into it. (Maybe it's the 60+ hours of work a week and not wanting to be married to my job.)

Maybe if I got an actual offer, I would change my mind, but still, (if given the opportunity) I don't think working at Google the rest of my life is my calling (but I digress).

Anyway, that's an interesting fact about the buses. I didn't know that.

Also, albeit cool, the race car is a bit ostentatious.

A Norwegian guy spoke about living abroad, and working in Silicon Valley, at JavaZone some weeks ago. He said San Fransisco is the "hip" town for startup companies, while Silicon Valley is extremely result oriented. Very interesting to hear how he got the job, what's expected of you, how you get a green card, etc. By the sound of it, you got to be prepared to work hard and long hours. I would be interested in working abroad now that I'm still young. Not that it's a real goal, but it would be a very fun experience.

On that account, Scandinavia is pretty much the only place in Europa without economic crisis. Not very hard to get jobs here, and the salary is good. When I'm done with my education, I will definitely consider it, thought. What might draw me, if given the chance, is the possibility to do something you can be truly proud of.

The perks sound nice, but I have also heard the same thing about long hours and not much life outside the company. There have been some interesting articles from former employees based in Silicon Valley - basically the perks are provided to keep you inside the company for longer hours.

Antonio - have you ever considered Appsterdam?