Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Intalling With Xampp Appendix A

Hi Larry

I have been using your book for some time now (I was a poster about 3 years ago on this forum) and have to say that it still amazes me what a comprehensive and well written publication it is. I wish you would write a javascript tome in the same manner.

The question is that I have installed php and MySQL onto the D: drive of my XP Home laptop using XAMPP from www.apachefriends.org and it now appears to run well according to the XAMPP Control Panel showing Apache and MySQL "Running" but when I run a php program using Firefox it appears that php is not actually running. The browser displays the html part of the php program and looking at the Firefox source code, one can see the php code. This software works perfectly on the 1and1 server. Am I missing something?

Hi Paul

Thanks for your input.

The website home page is www.sonningmowers.com/html which then loads the various .php pages (e.g. about us) and which works fine on 1and1 server. When I run it on the laptop and call other pages, they don't hook into php. XAMPP is running with php and mysql with svc ticked and 'Running' showing for both. phpinfo() gives me PHP version 5.3.8. I have tried your suggestion but no dice. Both the code and php are running out of the D: drive (partition). Hmmm. Baffling.

Hi Max,

Open httpd.conf in \XAMPP\apache\conf and look at both ServerRoot (defaults to C:/xampp/apache) and DocumentRoot (defaults to C:/xampp/htdocs) and make sure they point to the correct locations. You might only have to change the drive letter. Then restart Apache and see if that fixes it.

• Upvote 1

Hi Paul

Tried your suggestion but locations were correct (XAMPP was in the D: drive). Uninstalled and re-installed XAMPP to the D: root but to no avail. Shows 'running' in control panel but when I call a .php file it doesn't run (except the HTML!).

Still baffled!

Hi Larry

This is the URL of a very simple test program that I wrote to simplify matters:

file:///D:/xampp/htdocs/phptest.php

Code:

<?php

$x = 5;

$y = 6;

$z = $x * $y;

echo $x . $y . $z;

?>

In www.sonningmowers.com/phptest.php it gives the expected 5630. On the laptop I just get a blank screen (Firefox) and a source code which is the php script.

Apache, MySQL and Filezilla are all ticked and 'RUNNING' according to XAMPP Control Panel.

http://localhost/xampp/ shows:

MySQL database ACTIVATED

PHP ACTIVATED

HTTPS (SSL) ACTIVATED

Common Gateway Interface (CGI) ACTIVATED

Server Side Includes (SSI) ACTIVATED

SMTP Service DEACTIVATED

FTP Service ACTIVATED

Tomcat Service DEACTIVATED

HTTP Headers:...

HTTP Request GET /xampp/phpinfo.php HTTP/1.1

Host localhost

User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:7.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/7.0.1

Accept text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

Accept-Language es-es,es;q=0.8,en-us;q=0.5,en;q=0.3

Accept-Encoding gzip, deflate

Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7

DNT 1

Connection keep-alive

Referer http://localhost/xampp/navi.php

PHP:...

PHP Version 5.3.8

I can't help feeling that I'm missing something simple and that (as with many times in the past) I will find the answer in your book, but it escapes me at the moment.

As said before, I have had PHP MySQL running on the same laptop in the past but probably on the C: partition. Unfortunately, C: seems to be being hogged by Windows updates etc.so have to use D:

As always, help very much appreciated.