Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Unable To Export Database

I have a client who needs to move their website to another host. They have a forum using vBulletin software. It's been active for many years and is very large.

I'm trying to export the mysql from the database so that I can rebuild the database on the new servers, but whenever I try to export it I just get an empty, blank document. I suspect, but I'm not really sure, that maybe it's so big the current settings won't allow enough time to complete the export. Does this sound possible? If so, how would I fix this? If not, what other things could be causing this.

The phpMyAdmin interface says version 2.8.2.4 and the MySQL says version 5.0.45.

Bottom line, I need to get the database exported, so any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks much for any help.

As an alternative, what happens if you back up the full website and then save the tar / zip and see if when you unzip it it has all the sql back ups? I know some hosts will try and get in touch with other companies when transferring things over, might cost a small fee, but probably worth it if there's that much data.

Best of luck though

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the help guys. It's taken me awhile to get back to this issue (too much other stuff going on), but I took your suggestion and figured out how to SSH in to the account and export the database. It took me a little while to figure all that out, I've never done it before, but it appears to be working just fine. So, thanks again.