Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Chapter 13 Table Creation

Hi Larry - I am following along in the book - and I am on page 393 when we begin to add quotes. When I add a quote, the page returned sends back these errors:

Notice: Undefined variable: dbc in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 18
Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, null given in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 18
Notice: Undefined variable: dbc in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 19
Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, null given in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 19
Notice: Undefined variable: dbc in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 28
Warning: mysql_query() expects parameter 2 to be resource, null given in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 28
Notice: Undefined variable: dbc in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 30
Warning: mysql_affected_rows() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 30
Notice: Undefined variable: dbc in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 33
Warning: mysql_error() expects parameter 1 to be resource, null given in C:\xampp\htdocs\add_quote.php on line 33
Could not store teh quote because:
The query being run was: INSERT INTO quotes (quote, source, favorite) VALUES ('', '', 0)

That makes me think I do not have my table set up properly....

Page 380 didn't give a whole lot of details as to how to set up but here is what my table looks like:

<?php
$dbc - mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'spring');
if ($dbc) {
$query = 'CREATE TABLE quotes ( quote_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, quote TEXT NOT NULL, source VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL, favorite TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL, date_entered TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, PRIMARY KEY (quote_id))';
}
mysql_close($dbc);

?>

Any ideas why this isn't working?

That makes me think I do not have my table set up properly....

Page 380 didn't give a whole lot of details as to how to set up but here is what my table looks like:

<?php
$dbc - mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'spring');
if ($dbc) {
$query = 'CREATE TABLE quotes ( quote_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, quote TEXT NOT NULL, source VARCHAR(100) NOT NULL, favorite TINYINT(1) UNSIGNED NOT NULL, date_entered TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP, PRIMARY KEY (quote_id))';
}
mysql_close($dbc);

?>

You may want to start with subsituing the '-' with '=' on this line...

$dbc = mysql_connect('localhost', 'root', 'spring');

• Upvote 1

Part of my problem was that on page 394, the written instructions did not say to type lines 22 and 23.... so I wasn't included the database connect file. I have done that now, and Now I am getting a message that says...

Could not store the quote because:

No database selected.

The query being run was: INSERT INTO quotes (quote, source, favorite) VALUES ('test', 'test', 0)

That's why I think I either have something typed wrong in my table or things aren't stored in the right directories.... I have debugged and I am connected to the database…. it still seems to be having a problem selecting the database….. I have attached my add_quotes script and my mysql_connect.php script and following is my table. Right now, I have my mysql_connect stored in the xamp folder, my add_quotes stored in the htdocs folder and I have a myquotes.php (which is my table) in both the xamp folder and in the htdocs folder, as I was trying to figure out if I had it in the right directory….

add_quotes.php

<?php // Script 13.7 - add_quote.php
/* This script adds a quote. */
// Define a page title and include the header:
define('TITLE', 'Add a Quote');
include('templates/header.html');
print '<h2>Add a Quotation</h2>';
// Restrict access to administrators only:
if (!is_administrator()) {
print '<h2>Access Denied!</h2><p class="error">You do not have permission to access this page.</p>';
include('templates/footer.html');
exit();
}
// Check for a form submission:
if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] == 'POST') { // Handle the form.
if ( !empty($_POST['quote']) && !empty($_POST['source']) ) {
 // Need the database connection:
 include('../mysql_connect.php');
 // Prepare the values for storing:
 $quote = mysql_real_escape_string(trim(strip_tags($_POST['quote'])), $dbc);
 $source = mysql_real_escape_string(trim(strip_tags($_POST['source'])), $dbc);

// Create the "favorite" value:
 if (isset($_POST['favorite'])) {
  $favorite = 1;
 } else {
  $favorite = 0;
 }

$query = "INSERT INTO quotes (quote, source, favorite) VALUES ('$quote', '$source', $favorite)";
 $result = mysql_query($query, $dbc);

if (mysql_affected_rows($dbc) == 1){
  // Print a message:
  print '<p>Your quotation has been stored.</p>';
 } else {
  print '<p class="error">Could not store the quote because:<br />' . mysql_error($dbc) . '.</p><p>The query being run was: ' . $query . '</p>';
 }

// Close the connection:
 mysql_close($dbc);

} else { // Failed to enter a quotation.
 print '<p class="error">Please enter a quotation and a source!</p>';
}

} // End of submitted IF.
// Leave PHP and display the form:
?>
<form action="add_quote.php" method="post">
<p><label>Quote <textarea name="quote" rows="5" cols="30"></textarea></label></p>
<p><label>Source <input type="text" name="source" /></label></p>
<p><label>Is this a favorite? <input type="checkbox" name="favorite" value="yes" /></label></p>
<p><input type="submit" name="submit" value="Add This Quote!" /></p>
</form>
<?php include('templates/footer.html'); ?>

table as instruction on page 390 called myquotes

<?php

?>

My mysql_connect.php file which has been debugged and I am connected.

<?php
mysql_select_db('myquotes', $dbc);
?>