Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Since I can't afford the book right now (4th edition) , is it possible to use the "Forum" codes like a classifieds form? For example: There is a "Posting Form", someone fills it out (including pics), then they can preview it, then "Submit" or "Launch" it, then see it within a "Post List"? And is it possible to see some of these lists from a week to a month prior to the current date?

If I understand your question, you'd like to base a classified ads website on the code used by Larry for his forum examples? If you can find a copy of Larry's book at the library, either the 3rd or the 4th edition, it will indeed help you create all the functionality you describe. But, if you are new to PHP and MySQL (or any other database system), be prepared to read the book and learn from chapter 1. Without any previous knowledge, you can't start directly with chapter 15 ("Example–Message Board") from the 3rd edition, for instance, or at least it's not the easiest way of learning all that's needed to create such a website.

• Upvote 1

I have read XHTML/HTML/CSS 8 books-in-one from the For Dummies, as well as PHP & MySQL from the For Dummies, i also have the libraries (from what i have seen) only book from Larry Ullman "PHP and MySQL For Dynamic Web Sites - Second Edition". Even the main library doesnt have a lot of Computer books. But yes i am trying to build a Classifieds website (like craigslist or backpage or eclassifieds) for a source of income, I need to get it up and running Before it gets colder. Living in a house that is usually ten degrees colder than the outside is not an easy task, and we are running out of gasoline money. I also have a few other books, 2 of which are php in a nutshell, and php phrase guidebook or something, and the last two are just for dummies books talking about how to make your own website. But i have tried a library "loan book"? she said it was where they check all the libraries in this country and loan it out to a certain library for a certain customer. BUT she said that i had to be customer of their county in order to do that, and since im not.....well there goes that idea. Is there a way to read the book online? instead of just getting the codes?

To accept money online safely does require I would say an intermediate ability of PHP and MySQL. I don't know how far into PHP you are and neither am I trying to quash your idea - its good to have goals. But from my own experience you can have a good website, but getting people to use it over a major player is tough and often requires major advertising all that is costly. I definately think you should try to make your site but it will be a lot of work and can be fairly complicated when accepting money.just so you know.

• Upvote 1