Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Firebug Add-On And Firefox Web Browser

I want everyone here to know that Larry made the recommendation to use Firefox web browser AND the Firebug add-on in his book PHP6/MySQL5. These were great and very useful recommendations that I have been using to help me debug AND better understand how HTML, CSS, PHP code works within a web browser. I was apprehensive at first because there are so many "unproductive" add-ons/plug-ins. Give these a try. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Larry,

• Upvote 2

I want everyone here to know that Larry made the recommendation to use Firefox web browser AND the Firebug add-on in his book PHP6/MySQL5. These were great and very useful recommendations that I have been using to help me debug AND better understand how HTML, CSS, PHP code works within a web browser. I was apprehensive at first because there are so many "unproductive" add-ons/plug-ins. Give these a try. You won't be disappointed.

Thanks Larry,

Yes it's a really good plug-in I must agree

• Upvote 1

I have downloaded it and will start using it soon. The tool bar icons look useful. I see that many people have downloaded it. If it proves useful and productive for my PHP/MySQL development then I will donate to the developer.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, Gregory and Jonathon. Ironically, I've pretty much stopped using Firefox as my day-to-day browser. At first I found it to be too slow, and then I noticed it was a huge memory hog. Right now, Firefox is demanding 165MB of RAM, more than any other application, and I haven't even opened a single page in it yet today. But when it comes to development and tools such as Firebug, no other browser comes close!

Thanks, Gregory and Jonathon. Ironically, I've pretty much stopped using Firefox as my day-to-day browser. At first I found it to be too slow, and then I noticed it was a huge memory hog. Right now, Firefox is demanding 165MB of RAM, more than any other application, and I haven't even opened a single page in it yet today. But when it comes to development and tools such as Firebug, no other browser comes close!

Yes I am a slave to Firefox, but I really can't stand how much memory it uses or even why it needs to.

Out of interest what browser do you use? and which do you think is the best. I have all of them downloaded. Bar Opera (Although someone once said to me they regarded Opera as the best browser available). Maybe I should experiment with it?

I quite like Google and imagine that there market share will only increase as Googles advertising is EVERYWHERE. I think it's a bit too plug-in happy though. I had to install an xml feed the other day because it doesnt ordinarily support one (As far as I know, admittedly I did very little searching of this issue).

:)

Well, the first thing to keep in mind is that I primarily (i.e., almost exclusively) use a Mac, so I have no sense whether Internet Explorer is any good or not. History would suggest that it's safe to assume it's not! The extensions and add-ons for Firefox are what set it apart, especially for developers. For years I used Firefox first and occasionally Safari. Just recently I made Safari my default browser and Google Chrome, which is growing on me, as my second. I do have Opera installed, but never really got into it too much.

With Firefox, the developer tools are great, not to belabor the point. Even the ability to view just part of the source code is really great. I also like the way it manages tabs and saves state. But the memory... Safari seems to perform well. And I really like the ClickToFlash plug-in, which disables Flash content until I click on it to view it. But Flash generally crashes more as a plug-in to Safari. Chrome performs well but I've tried to use its developer plug-ins and have struggled with them.

I tell you what I do really appreciate having, especially as I change browsers: 1Password. I'm taking the passwords out of my browsers (which may or may not store them securely) and putting them in 1Password. Plus the 1Password file is sharable across devices, which is useful. I had heard about 1Password for quite some time and never felt the drive to use it, but I'm glad I started to.