Larry Ullman's Book Forums

What Frameworks Do People Like The Most?

Edward

Hey everyone i wanted to start a topic on php frameworks and which ones you like the most? I like to code stuff from scratch, but i have been recommended by friends for bigger projects to build into a framework. I have just download Zend Server 5.6 and taking a look. So far it seems easy to use and it is great at error handling and monitoring your website page performance. I feel confident with Zend as it is by the makers of PHP and looks like it will be here to stay, but the downside it seems that you need a deep pocked with it, and even the impression i got when i just downloaded it and i had the 29 days left trial counter.

Zend Server is not the same thing as the Zend Framework. The Zend Framework is free.

I personally prefer Yii and only use Zend for specific tasks. I tried once to use ZF as the basis of a site and really didn't care for it.

• Upvote 1

I have seen that the Yii framework is supposed to run 5 times faster than the Zend framework. I will take a look into it. But what if we are coding in procedural code, the framework is in OOP, can we still use procedural with that?

Ah larry my mistake again, i will look at that again today Zend Framework, i thought the Zend Server included that. Will check Zend and Yii out.

Well i hope Larry's next book will be "E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL the Object Orientated way". The market is lacking a good book like that at the moment, there are framework books in OOP for E-commerce and Social networks but not an all in one.

I will have a look at the YII and see how it fits together!

Thanks again.

Zend Server is not the same thing as the Zend Framework. The Zend Framework is free.

I personally prefer Yii and only use Zend for specific tasks. I tried once to use ZF as the basis of a site and really didn't care for it.

Okay I'm going to go with the Yii framework I've just ordered the two books on the front of the yii framework website. Larry you may notice a slight increase in your income this month I've also ordered four of your books. I also got two of the object orientated books you were recommending. Well I am very excited about learning yii and the oop stuff, there is no turning back now. Thanks to you guys for helping me to come to a decision.

If i can get this yii framework installed successfully, i will work through your tutorial first before i start on anything else. I will let you know how it goes.

I will be finishing of your Effortless E-Commerce but i would like to learn the Yii at the same time with some OOP stuff to keep things interesting.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Deleted

I use CodeIgniter. I can't compare it to any other framework because I've never used any other, but I like it just fine.

That said, I've been tempted to tinker with Zend Framework 2. Has anybody tried it?

I use CodeIgniter too, but I regret building my current project on it. It's a good framework, but it's really starting to show its age.

When I have a new project that needs a framework, I'll take a good look at both Laravel and YII 2. I've really liked what I've seen from Laravel, and I found myself nodding a great deal when I studied the public preview readme for YII 2. I think these framework tap into some of the strengths you find in frameworks from other languages, namely Rails, flask and Play!. They also make a lot of sense from a code design standpoint. I'll take a new look around when I need to.

Guest Deleted

Maybe Ellislab will actually get around to releasing CodeIgniter 3, then maybe it will be up to date.

And umm...I'm gonna feel stupid for asking this question but why do you need to update the framework for projects you have already built? Is it in case the owner decides he wants to add on to their site and use the best features that any framework has to offer?

I'm such an OOP and Framework noob, lol. Granted I might be using CodeIgniter wrong but I didn't have to be great at OOP to use it. I never use any of the fancy stuff I saw when I first studied OOP. Like, the only magic method I use is __construct() and I've never used an abstract class or a static property  :blink:

I said a new one.

I've actually considered porting this one as I'm part-owner of that particular project. If I decided to do something like that, it has more with learning new tech than really improving something. I'm still a student, so I a lot more time than you guys. ;)

Yeah, sure. I don't think I will rebuild an already published site with another framework. However, I study computer science, so I might consider doing it as part of learning a new framework - I do have the time for it. More likely, though, I will wait for a new project before diving into new technology.

Guest Deleted

Oh, ok, gotcha.

What about upgrading an established site to a newer version of the same framework? Does it just depend on what additions the owner wants to make to the site, and whether or not the current version will allow those changes? Or is it always good because of bug fixes?