Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi guys

Before I dive head first into the book, I've been doing a little research on PHP overall and how it has developed since I last had a 'dabble' several years ago.

I can't help but notice that there is a lot of discussion on frameworks and this 'MVC' term, which I vaguely follow the concept of.

I guess my question is, do I need to be considering using a framework (Zend) or concerning myself with the MVC model during my 'first steps' in PHP & mySQL learning, or is it something that I am more likely to consider as an optimisation step much further down the road when(if) writing large scale, complicated projects?

The project I have in mind as a starting point for learning php & mySQL (discussed in a previous post) could be considered complicated I guess, but my intention is to start off with a basic idea and enhance it over the coming months as my programming knowledge increases.

Interested in hearing from anyone with an opinion on the above.

Thanks in advance

Danny

Hi Danny, yes if you are going to be building a fairly complex website, it would be best building into a framework, it will save you the time of reinventing the wheel, and not only that you website will be much more secure. you may find some this post helpful

http://www.larryullm...-like-the-most/

I have not used frameworks myself before as you, but have had a look at Zend, Codeignitor and Yii. I have decided myself to go through with the Yii framework, it started up in 2008, so its not been around as long Zend, however the Yii guys have had time to rethink the structure of a framework and help us more with the common programming tasks. The other advantage of Yii is that it does allow you to incorporate Zend into it and it is Larry Ullman favorite framework a man of experience.

If you are unsure of the MVC don't worry about that now, there are easy ways to see how that works with Yii framework for example you can check these out

http://www.yiiframew...om/screencasts/

http://www.larryullm...-yii-framework/

Larry Ullman tutorials are in the second link which are well written. All of the frameworks Yii, Zend and Codeinigitor are based in object orientated code.

Before I dive head first into the book, I've been doing a little research on PHP overall and how it has developed since I last had a 'dabble' several years ago. I can't help but notice that there is a lot of discussion on frameworks and this 'MVC' term, which I vaguely follow the concept of. I guess my question is, do I need to be considering using a framework (Zend) or concerning myself with the MVC model during my 'first steps' in PHP & mySQL learning, or is it something that I am more likely to consider as an optimisation step much further down the road when(if) writing large scale, complicated projects?

Good question. And the answer is: No, absolutely not. Not only do you not have to worry about frameworks and MVC right now, you really shouldn't. Your first steps should definitely be to learn PHP and MySQL and Web development. Once you're absolutely comfortable with those, you can consider learning OOP, MVC, and a framework. The plan you've described sounds just right.

I would disagree Danny, if these are your first steps in PHP and MySQL a framework is not for you. To use a framework you need to a) be comfortable with PHP and coding, you also need to be comfortable with SQL and finally you need to be able to code PHP in objects. All of these skills take time, practice and exposure. :-)

• Upvote 1

Hi guys

Before I dive head first into the book, I've been doing a little research on PHP overall and how it has developed since I last had a 'dabble' several years ago.

I can't help but notice that there is a lot of discussion on frameworks and this 'MVC' term, which I vaguely follow the concept of.

I guess my question is, do I need to be considering using a framework (Zend) or concerning myself with the MVC model during my 'first steps' in PHP & mySQL learning, or is it something that I am more likely to consider as an optimisation step much further down the road when(if) writing large scale, complicated projects?

The project I have in mind as a starting point for learning php & mySQL (discussed in a previous post) could be considered complicated I guess, but my intention is to start off with a basic idea and enhance it over the coming months as my programming knowledge increases.

Interested in hearing from anyone with an opinion on the above.

Thanks in advance

Danny

Whoops i apologize i was in a rush earlier and misread your question. Yes you would really need to a have a strong foundation in php and mysql first before you look into frameworks. Larry has two awesome books that are worth checking out PHP for the Web (Fourth Edition) and PHP and MySQL for Dynamic Web Sites (Forth Edition).