Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I'm trying to setup MAMP on OS X Lion using latest 2.x release of MAMP. (I've tried downgrading, too)

Seems, I can setup the tool and visit the localhost page but am unable to change the password and consequently, unable to setup the server. Even after changig config.inc.php - still remains red on startup.

I've followed Book documentation and MAMP official documents on both new and older version.

What am I doing wrong?

Tearing my hair out at this one.

Just did this pretty recently - had a lot of trouble with it myself.

In addition to config.inc.php, you have to change your password in several other places:

/Applications/MAMP/bin/mamp/index.php

$link = @mysql_connect(':/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock', 'root', 'YOUR PASSWORD');

/Applications/MAMP/bin/checkMysql.sh

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqlcheck --all-databases --check --check-upgrade -u root -pYOURPASSWORD --socket=/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

/Applications/MAMP/bin/repairMysql.sh

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqlcheck --all-databases --repair -u root -pYOURPASSWORD --socket=/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock

/Applications/MAMP/bin/stopMysql.sh

/Applications/MAMP/Library/bin/mysqladmin -u root -pYOURPASSWORD --socket=/Applications/MAMP/tmp/mysql/mysql.sock shutdown

The index.php page is especially important. Let me know if this helps. I may have forgotten a step.

• Upvote 1

Also, if you have problems starting the server in MAMP, run this code in Terminal (before you get to the MySQL command line):

killall -9 mysqld

And also check Activity Monitor to make sure there is only one instance of "mysqld." If MAMP is having trouble connecting and you click "Connect" again, it'll add a new instance of the "mysqld" process each time and that will further prevent the servers from loading correctly.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Note: I just found out that if you upgrade MAMP, it will overwrite any settings you changed on these files with the original files. So, you'll want to either keep copies of these files elsewhere on your hard drive or re-alter the password information after upgrading.

Another file that you can change is upgradeMysql.sh (in the same manner as checkMysql.sh, stopMysql.sh and repairMysql.sh).

Finally, it seems that even after changing all these files, phpmyadmin will not connect until after a full system restart. So edit all the files, restart your computer, and then try connecting again. Should work.