Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Mysqli Vs Mysql Db Calls

I found out from my host that they do not offer mysqli php extension except on their dedicated servers, where you can install anything you want but at a premium price of course. How much of a deal is it to use the older mysql calls in place of the mysqli database calls and what if any performance hit will my applications take? I know there will be a bit more code needed with mysql calls where mysqli are more integrated needing less code to do similar things.

Will it be a big deal to convert the two demo sites to use the older mysql calls instead?

Hi,

As far as I remember, Larry is using some mysqli functions with no mysql equivalent. I’m thinking at prepared statements and binding (chapter 7 and chapter 11), but they may be some others functions as well.

• Upvote 1

It's not a big deal to convert to the older MySQL functions, you'll just need to do it. If you're in a situation where you don't need dedicated (or, really, that good) hosting, then I wouldn't worry about the performance issues. Yes, the MySQL Improved functions should perform better and support other features, but it doesn't sound like you're in a situation where you need to spend money to make that happen.