Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Uploading Pdf Files

Hi Larry,

I have a problem trying to upload a pdf file. I get the following error message:

An error occurred in script '/mnt/vol3/home/b/e/bexcom/public_html/e-Commerce/kip/add_pdf.php' on line 52:

move_uploaded_file(www.bexcomputersdesigns.co.uk/e-Commerce/pdfs/bd42c707f6a002d4abd8993fa08236eb5ca84e6a_tmp) [function.move-uploaded-file]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory

This is the section (including the line numbers for reference) from the add_pdf.php file:

46 // If no errors, create file's new name and destination

47 if (!array_key_exists ('pdf', $add_pdf_errors)) {

48 $tmp_name = sha1 ($file['name'] . uniqid ('', true));

49 $dest = PDFS_DIR . $tmp_name . '_tmp';

51 // Move the file

52 if (move_uploaded_file ($file['tmp_name'], $dest)) {

53 $_SESSION['pdf']['tmp_name'] = $tmp_name;

54 $_SESSION['pdf']['size'] = $size;

55 $_SESSION['pdf']['file_name'] = $file['name'];

56 echo '<h4>

57 The file has been uploaded!

58 </h4>';

59 } else {

60 trigger_error ('The file could not be moved.');

61 unlink ($file['tmp_name']);

62 }

63 } // End of array_key_exists() IF.

This is how I have set up the paths in my config.inc.php file:

define ('BASE_URI','www.bexcomputersdesigns.co.uk/e-Commerce/');

define ('BASE_URL','www.bexcomputersdesigns.co.uk/');

define ('MYSQL','includes/mysql.inc.php');

define ('PDFS_DIR',BASE_URI . 'pdfs/');

All my files are within a folder called kip which this is within a folder called e-Commerce. I have placed the pdfs folder within the e-Commerce folder so it was outside the root directory.

Hope this information helps.

I don't think you want the domain name in the location to move the file to. PHP operates on the file system level when copying files. Try changing your PDFS_DIR constant definition to: define ('PDFS_DIR', $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/e-Commerce/pdfs/');

www.bexcomputersdesigns.co.uk isn't a directory, it's a DNS entry; a friendly alias of the actual IP address. PHP doesn't use it, it wants something like /mnt/vol3/home/b/e/bexcom/public_html/e-Commerce/pdfs/. $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] will return the /mnt/vol3/home/b/e/bexcom/public_html part (I can't remember if it includes the trailing slash or not.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Paul. You are a life-saver. I changed the PDFS_DIR definition to how you described and it worked a treat.

I have only been using PHP for a few months, so still learning a lot.

Thanks again!