Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Selling Videos Online

Hi

Im relatively new to PHP ... But after reading all the Positive reviews of "Effortless E-Commerce" I had to buy it. I went through the book without doing any coding just to understand what is possible to do with PHP in terms of E-commerce. I wanted to find out a few things as I would like to do a project after my skill in PHP improve, that will look at selling videos online instead of pdf files. Is there some other technologies that will have to be used to do that? as in stream the videos? and what sort of hosting space should I invest in? would I need huge amount of bandwidth? The videos will be on language skills and linguistic skills in different languages including arabic, spanish, french etc. I wanted to find out the above as am looking to invest in some PHP hosting that I can put live of the stuff i can now code to show my friends what im capable of :-)

As for the videos they will be 10 videos that will cover a specific topic so all ten videos will be sold as a batch on subscription for 12 months there after the access will be removed. I want to sell them as digital products not on DVD.

I appreciate any advice on hosting and technologies that i need to learn with PHP to do that.

many thanks :-)

If you've made the videos you should already know your storage requirements. If not, you either have to make a test video and extrapolate based on it's file size; or make a guess based on average intended video length and MB/min.

Bandwidth usage will be down to how popular/successful your service is. Stay clear of cheap hosting with unlimited bandwidth, it's never unlimited and the servers are usually loaded with as many sites as possible.

Alternatively use a cloud service for video delivery; a sensible solution would be Amazon S3 http://aws.amazon.com/s3/ on top of regular hosting. Use S3 for video delivery and host your site with a regular hosting provider. Amazon charge on a usage basis and the charges are small.

My best advice, know your requirements and do plenty of research.