Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Thoughts On This Book So Far

Hi All,

I am new and have been doing some posting on Sitepoint, working on a project, taking the Lynda.com class (more on that in a minute) and now going through this book.

Importantly, I found the class on Lynda.com very good until the project started (building a CMS), and then the complexity seemed to build very steeply, and I was clearly unprepared. This is in no way a reflection of Lynda.com (learned HTML, CSS to a decent level and could even build my own simple website afterward with little problem. Further, I can't recommend the Wordpress theming class enough) or even of the PHP class. I just felt overwhelmed.

I started looking for a good book to supplement or replace the class and I figured this one was one of several that might work. I can't tell you how happy I am. The book explained several things I was unsure of in the first 3 chapters and got me started effectively on being able to apply the basics. I am now half way through the book and feel much more confident. The Review and Pursue sections worked well to make sure the material stuck. Mr Ullman just explains things in a way that I get! I can't say how important it is to be able to break down a topic into digestable pieces and explain it so the reader understands. A lot of tech book authors don't even come close.

I am looking forward to completing this book, finishing my project and learning Javascript with the help of your "Modern Javascript" book.

Thanks for putting out a great product!

Jim

• Upvote 1