Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Redirect Header Function Works On Localhost But Not Under Yahoo Hosting

Hello,

Please help!  Thank you.

I have a webpage (a member log in page called logcheck.php) which allows members to enter their member name and password, then once the member name (member_name) and password (pass) are validated, i.e. the combination is found in a unique record in the members table in a mysql database called test  , then members will be redirected to another page (called byimain.php) on my website using. 

header('Location: byimain.php');

This works perfectly when I run it on localhost where the mysqli connect function is as follows:

$dbc = @mysqli_connect('localhost', 'root', 'password', test') OR die ('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysqli_connect_error());

Now I sign up with yahoo as my web hosting. I have to set up access to mySQL and to create a new username and password for mySQL database (phpMyadmin).    I also created a database called test to store my members table, and on my members table, I have one row with member_name = janekoo and pass = passjk .  Yahoo told me the host now is mysql instead of localhost.  So my new mysqli connect function will be:

$dbc = @mysqli_connect('mysql', 'xxx', 'yyy', test') OR die ('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysqli_connect_error()); 

where xxx =username and yyy = password

I know the mysql part and the validation of the member_name and pass against the members table in the test database are working because for testing,  I program to have the sentence "I am in" to display on the member log in page if someone enters janekoo as member_name and passjk as password.  And I did get "I am in".  But I cannot get the redirection to the byiman.php page with yahoo hosting which I can under localhost.

Before Yahoo allows me to set up mySQL access, I have to upgrade my php from version 5.2  to a newer version 5.3.  Before my script is under version 5.2, now it is under version 5.3.
Will that upgrade cause 
header('Location: byimain.php'); not to work under yahoo hosting?

Once again, the following script works fine under localhost, but not under Yahoo hosting.  Under Yahoo hosting, I cannot get the redirect to byimain.php when users enter the correct member name and password.   

Below is my script in the members log in page:

<?php
 error_reporting (E_ALL ^ E_NOTICE);

?>

<!DOCTYPEhtml><html>
<head>
<title> Login Form </title>

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
    form div{
         margin-bottom: 1em;
}

</style>
</head> 

<body bgcolor=#FFFFFF>
<h1> Log In </h1>

<?php
$form = "<form action='logcheck.php' method='POST'>
  <table>
   <tr>
     <td> Username: </td>

<td> <input type='text' name='member_name' /> </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
     <td> Password: </td>
     <td> <input type='password' name ='pass'/> </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
     <td></td>
   </tr>

<tr>
     <td></td>
     <td> <input type='submit' name='submit' value='submit'/> </td>
    </tr>

</table>

</form>";
         echo $form;

?>

<?php
//Check for form submission

if ($_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD'] =='POST'){

$m=($_POST['member_name']);

$p=($_POST['pass']); 

// Register the user in the database host = mysql, username = xxx, password = yyy, database = test.

$dbc = @mysqli_connect('mysql', 'xxx', 'yyy', 'test') OR die ('Could not connect to MySQL: ' . mysqli_connect_error());

//Retrieve the first_name, and last_name for that email/password combination:

$q= "SELECT member_id FROM members WHERE member_name = '$m' AND pass = '$p' ";

//Run the query:

$r= @mysqli_query($dbc, $q);

//Check the results

if (mysqli_num_rows($r) == 1) { //if a record is found

//Success message

header('Location: byimain.php');

}else{//if no record is found

//Problem message
print '<p style="color: red;"> Incorrect username and password combination.  Or username and/or password fields are blank. Please try again! </p>';
}

//Close the database connection

mysqli_close($dbc);

exit();

}

?>

</body>

</html>

Okay, so first of all, the MySQL stuff won't affect the redirection and vice versa. Best not to confuse the roles that these elements play. 

Second, I'd use exit(); after calling header() as a matter of practice. 

Third, you say you can't get the redirect to work. What does happen? What URL is the browser left on?