Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Has Much Changed In 2 Years Since Your Book Has Been Published?

I'm looking to learn things like implements, abstract classes, object interfaces, maybe some light SPL stuff, traits, typehints, namespaces. Which of these does this book cover? 

I have written myself an OOP system based on what was available in 2010, then I modified it based on what was available in 2013 with a lot of new 5.4 features. (Or, what I think are 5.4 features) Who knows if it's best practice, but it works and the customers are happy. I'm hoping to get it up to best practice. I've gone through the cycles of not understanding the point of certain things to independently developing classes that, after reading, come to find out are called "models." So I'm not totally clueless, but I don't hang out with enough programmers to know what things are called.

I'm weighing this book against "PHP Objects, Patterns, and Practice" by Matt Zandstra, which has an edition published last month. I can buy both, it's not one or the other. I'm just wondering if anyone could compare them if they've read both, or let me know which one is better suited for what I'm trying to learn.

Thanks everyone! 

PS Larry I commend your activeness in your forum! I regret not going to Northeast PHP.

Thanks for your interest in the book. I appreciate it! The book does cover interfaces, SPL, traits, type hinting, and namespaces. I think it's quite reasonably up to date still. 

Hope that helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

• 1 year later...

The thing is, Larry is the best book teacher I've read, but I didn't just buy his book. I have read both. Larry's book fills in a lot that Zandstra's doesn't about things other than objects, like sorting multi-dimensional arrays (problems with which brought me here). Larry also demonstrates various ways of doing things that save time, like how he brings in a utilities file in order to always start a session and tie in the database when using PDO. Zandstra, however, covers more patterns and goes deeper into the sort of acceptable styles you might code things, as you iterate through the development process. You know, as you clean up and refactor your code, or as you discover better ways to follow object oriented methodology.