Larry Ullman's Book Forums

I've almost completed my poll item, but I'm struggling putting the finishing touches on it.

Basically, I'm storing polls, answers, and votes in MySQL. The polls table has the poll_id, question, and date. The answers table has the answer_id, poll_id, answer, and votes.

I have everything automated except when to show a particular poll. During August 2011 I want to show one poll along with it's question and answer choices. During September 2011, another. In the polls table I have a column called date that is type date. It stores dates in the format 2011-08-01 (year-month-day). I thought about making a variable that stores the current date in the same format. However when I put this variable in my query (since the variable will always change based on the current date) I get errors because the query expects the date string to be '2011-08-01', not 2011-08-01, without the quotes.

I store every date as Year-Month-FirstDayofMonth... 2011-08-01 for August's poll... 2011-09-01 for September's poll

I store the current date (2011-08) for Year-Month plus '01' for the first day of the month like this:

$current_poll = ('Y' . "-" . 'm' . "-" . '01');

However when I put $current_poll in the query I always get errors because it expect the string to be surrounded in quotes.

Here's my working query with the date hard coded.

$select_poll = "SELECT P.poll_id, P.question, A.answer_id, A.answer FROM poll_questions P 
INNER JOIN poll_answers A ON p.poll_id = A.poll_id WHERE P.date = '2011-08-01'";

I want the date to be automated so when it's September 1, the poll with the date 2011-09-01 shows.

So I'm stuck... Is there an easier way to do this?

I have a feeling that the dates being handled by the database are date objects, whereas the date that your providing is a string object.

Actually, I'm really bad at handling dates and have little to no experience with them, but I imagine that PHP has all sorts of conversion functions for this very sort of thing.

If you don't resolve it soon, I'll look into it more later, and see if I can find an answer.

I have started to use PDO with the MySQL database for all of my inserts, updates, selects. Would that make a difference? I really need more work on my MySQL/MySQL skills. I had to take a break from this, my head was starting to spin. :)

However when I put $current_poll in the query I always get errors because it expect the string to be surrounded in quotes.

This is not the problem - is this the actual line you're using?

$current_poll = ('Y' . "-" . 'm' . "-" . '01');

Because that won't produce a date unless you use the date function like:

$current_poll = date('Y-m-01');

And then this will work:

$select_poll = "SELECT P.poll_id, P.question, A.answer_id, A.answer FROM poll_questions P INNER JOIN poll_answers A ON p.poll_id = A.poll_id WHERE P.date = '$current_poll'";

Hi Stuart.

Yes, I used the date() function. I still couldn't get it to work. I'm sure there's a way to do it with that method though, I'll try your suggestion.

But, I have gotten it to work by using some SQL functions. This works.

$select_poll = "SELECT P.poll_id, P.question, A.answer_id, A.answer FROM poll_questions P 
INNER JOIN poll_answers A ON p.poll_id = A.poll_id 
WHERE date = (SELECT DATE_FORMAT(NOW() ,'%Y-%m-01'))";

Each poll question has a date column and I store the first date of the month in it... 2011/08/01, 2011/09/01, 2011/10/01. When the new month starts, the new poll and answers are shown.