Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Hi all. New to the forum and pretty new to PHP/mySQL; I did have a little dabble quite a few years ago but only ever really at beginner level.

I've now decided I have the time for some self-tutoring and with the help of the book associated with this forum, I hope to be able to build a specific application I have in mind.

In the small business I work for, we have a requirement to collect data from the various functions within business e.g. manufacturing/QA/technical/purchasing etc. to feed into our small (and very dated) ERP system. At the moment, this is done using some very old and very cumbersome excel spreadsheets that have to be opened, completed and then forwarded on to the next business stream via email.As you can imagine, this is a very manual process and can also be quite time consuming as it is so linear.

My inclination for some while now has been to develop a web-based portal that will allow a data co-ordinator to initiate a form based project that will distribute forms where end users can complete and submit in a more concurrent fashion, also - if possible - introducing some authorisation and validation into the mix. A kind of workflow process I guess is the best way to describe it.

I must say, reading that back to myself, it does seem quite 'grand' for someone who is pretty much just starting out, and I'm hoping that I've chosen the right technology with PHP/mySQL -but - having researched a little and having had Larry's books highly recommended to me, I'm also keen to use server side rather than client side technology (e.g. Javascript) as much as possible.

If anyone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree here, or the whole thing is just a flight of fancy that I'm 6 years away from being able to complete, then please do jump in with your comments; all advice is welcome.

Anyway, that's a bit of a "This is me and this is my plan" post, so I imagine you will be hearing a lot more from me once I 'dive in' head first, so to speak.

Kind regards and many, many thanks in advance for the assistance I am sure many of you will be providing over the coming months...

....Page 1

Danny

It's definitely doable, and honestly, I think there's no better choice than PHP/MySQL, so good job there.

There are plenty of people on this forum (including Larry, himself), that can and will gladly help you with your project. While it may not seem like it now, what you want to do is actually pretty darn simple and common, so by all means, post any queries you have.

Thanks.

• Upvote 1