I am pleased to announce that I’ve just signed a contract to write the second edition of my “Effortless E-commerce with PHP and MySQL” book, published by New Riders. The first edition was written in the fall of 2010, and has been very well received (out of 22 reviews at Amazon, 18 are 5-star). There was more I wanted to do in the first edition, and a few things have changed since the book was written, so my publisher and I felt it was time for a revision. I’ll be writing the book at the end of the summer and early fall (after I complete “The Yii Book“), with a release date in October or November.
For the second edition, here are the main changes and updates that I have planned:
- A third payment processing example, using a system and approach that’s only been invented in the past couple years: Stripe!
- Updated PayPal section to reflect changes in PayPal’s options and methodologies since the first edition.
- A chapter on marketing-related functionality: supporting reviews, providing recommendations, and adding analytics.
- A chapter on adding functionality using Ajax.
- A chapter on implementing e-commerce functionality using OOP.
And, of course, all of the existing material is also being updated for clarity, fixing errors, and so forth.
Those are the key points. Right now, it looks like I’ll have 200 more pages for this edition (from approximately 350 pages to 550), so there should be a lot of room to expand ideas and introduce new ones.
If you have any thoughts on what you’d like to see in the new edition, please let me know!