Welcome to the companion web pages for the book Effortless E-Commerce with PHP and MySQL (2nd Edition), written by Larry Ullman and published by New Riders (ISBN 0-321-94936-6). These pages are specifically for the second edition of the book, published in December 2013. For details as to what’s new in this edition of the book, see this blog post.
in this comprehensive guide to creating e-commerce sites using PHP and MySQL, renowned author Larry Ullman walks you through every step of the development process—designing the visual interface, creating the database, presenting content, generating an online catalog, managing the shopping cart, handling the order, processing the payment, and fulfilling the order—always with security and best practices emphasized along the way. Whether you’re relatively new to e-commerce, or a seasoned web developer, you’re guaranteed to learn something new.
- Maximizing sales by thinking of the customer first
- Create a safe server environment and database
- Use secure transactions and prevent common vulnerabilities
- Incorporate different payment gateways
- Design scalable sites that are easy to maintain
- Extend the book’s example sites to match the needs of your own sites
This book is written for those with some PHP and MySQL experience (it does not teach the technologies, just how to apply them to e-commerce).
Beside the handful of pages dedicated to this book, there’s plenty of other content on LarryUllman.com that you might be interested in. Use the “Post Categories” links above to browse by general topic. Any post that’s pertinent specifically to this edition of this book will also have the “ecom2” tag (also accessed through the “Extras” link on right).
You can download the code for the book using the links below. If you have any questions or problems, I’d recommend using the book’s corresponding support forum, where you’ll get the fastest answer. Some things you should know:
- Although these scripts are named or numbered as they are in the book, they do include any updates and changes as warranted by errors that were found after publication. Thus, if you are having problems with a particular script, download the most current version here or check the errata section.
- The URLs as referenced in the book are available for execution online (see above).
- These scripts have been formatted with line breaks that will work on most systems running most text editors. If you have difficulty opening a script, try:
- adjusting the way your text editor treats text files
- using a different text editor, if possible
- posting a message to the online forum, asking for help
Complete Set of Scripts
effortless_ecommerce_2nd.zip (784 KB, last modified 02/13/2016)