Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Is Anyone Using This Book For A College Course?

I'm teaching a web database integration course this coming semester. Last year when I taught it, we used a dreadful book with ASP.net, Visual Basic, etc. This year I want to use PHP & MySQL, both of which I am very familiar with. In fact, I'm teaching a web programming class that's using PHP & JavaScript right now. I'm using an O'Reilly book for that, and while the book is really good, I had to create all of the test bank questions, homework assignments, powerpoint slides, etc.

I know this book provides the source code, which is good, but I really don't want to have to develop all of the assets myself. It's not that I can't, but I'd rather spend more time being able to grade students' papers & give them feedback on homework. That is one of the advantages of using an academic publisher's books as opposed to Peachpit Press or O'Reilly, they provide a lot of assets for you.

I'd be interested in hearing feedback from anyone who is using this book to teach a college-level course, and possibly obtain materials and/or collaborate on developing materials together.

As a student in computer science, all I can say is that Larry is great at introducing new topics. I would've loved it if my teacher used his book as our book used is rubbish.

Is this an introduction course? I have read a lot of introduction level books on the topic, and his books are the ones I would recommend for students on that level. For the students, even if you need to create assignments yourself, I would really recommend Larry as a writer. It will pay off in the long run.

This is one student's opinion, but having been studying several other programming languages and been introduced to a lot more advanced topics, I feel my two cents are worth something. As said, it'll pay of in the long run.

Thanks for the interest in the book. And my thanks to Thomas for the nice words on my work. Much appreciated.

I know my books are frequently used in college classes, and with great results. Right now I don't know of any formal instructional materials for any of my books. However, this particular edition of this book does have a "Review and Pursue" section at the end of each chapter. For one instructor, I turned all of those into a single Word doc that the instructor could then pick and choose from to get a jump on making her materials. I could provide that to you, if you'd like.

Also, I'm currently in the process of creating Word docs (objectives, terms and definitions, and quiz questions) and PPT presentations for my "Modern JavaScript: Develop and Design" book. These materials are specifically intended to make it easier for instructors to adopt the book and is at my publisher's behest. I will do the same for my PHP & MySQL book later this year, if the publisher wants me to. You can contact them to indicate your interest, if you'd like.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the offer Larry. The course starts on April 30, so I will probably have to develop the materials myself. The most likely scenario is that I will buy the electronic version in addition to the hard copy I currently have and use that for PowerPoints, making quizzes, etc. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Combined with the resources Larry provides, I have been able to get MAMP running on a Mac. Following along with the scripts is easy and I'm keeping my cool learning complex stuff.

Would you be kind enough to provide you Review and Pursue Word doc? The only trouble I'm having is keeping the textbook open and flat next to the computer. :rolleyes:

We are using this text in our PHP level 1 and 2 classes at Montgomery College in Maryland. The college has a wonderful program called TechLEAP of which I'm a member. I took both classes two years ago. Since that time I haven't used PHP. Now I'm going through the chapters covered in the level 1 course and will start level 2 next week. This is a fantasic book.

TechLEAP: http://www.montgomer...chleap_home.htm

Regards, jimb23

Thanks for the nice words on the book. I'd rather not post that Word document here for anyone to grab but can provide it to the instructor directly. It's not clear from your message whether you're the instructor or a student.

Thanks again for the nice words!