Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Yii Book

Edward

Larry when is the Yii book due to come out? And also when do you think you will finish

PHP 5 Advanced: Visual QuickPro Guide (2nd Edition) 3rd Edition,

I really want to do this new book instead of the 2nd Edition that i have.

Larry if you have planned your project all the database design and functionality, would it be a good idea to start building that in Yii along side learning Yii. Rather than going through all the three Yii books, and may be forgetting stuff and going back again to do them all? (Just one thing i want to add, i will not start Yii books until i have finish David Powers, all of Matt Zandstra and lastly your new OOP Advanced PHP book, i am a man of integrity)

Another question i have is if you are doing a big website is it best to leave out the javascript first and get it to work with MySQL and PHP first then add in the javascript later?

Lastly i worked through your SQL stuff in the last two days, they were awesome chapters packed with more stuff than you can imagine. Ive actually know people before to do all the date formatting in php rather than using the SQL functions to do it, so it was good to see that being done on the lower level. I hope Yii has a way to incorporate the low level SQL stuff.

Thanks for the interest in the books, Edward.

Larry when is the Yii book due to come out?

Well, I probably won't start writing it until July or so. But I do hope to release a chapter at a time or so.

And also when do you think you will finish

PHP 5 Advanced: Visual QuickPro Guide (2nd Edition) 3rd Edition,

I really want to do this new book instead of the 2nd Edition that i have.

I *just* started writing it. Hopefully I'll finish it in June and it'll be out in August.

Larry if you have planned your project all the database design and functionality, would it be a good idea to start building that in Yii along side learning Yii.

I wouldn't. You'd be likely to muddle something up along the way. I'd learn Yii with some practice site, then try your actual site. Or you could try your actual site but plan on scrapping the whole thing and restarting it later down the road.

Rather than going through all the three Yii books, and may be forgetting stuff and going back again to do them all? (Just one thing i want to add, i will not start Yii books until i have finish David Powers, all of Matt Zandstra and lastly your new OOP Advanced PHP book, i am a man of integrity)

Frankly, I don't know how you remember anything going through as many different books as you do!

Another question i have is if you are doing a big website is it best to leave out the javascript first and get it to work with MySQL and PHP first then add in the javascript later?

Yes, exactly.

Lastly i worked through your SQL stuff in the last two days, they were awesome chapters packed with more stuff than you can imagine. Ive actually know people before to do all the date formatting in php rather than using the SQL functions to do it, so it was good to see that being done on the lower level. I hope Yii has a way to incorporate the low level SQL stuff.

Thanks for the nice words. You can customize your queries however you want in Yii.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for taking your time to answer my question, i like to hear your opinion. Well it appears that your books will be out in the time frame in which i require them, so i am very happy about that.

You commented "Frankly, I don't know how you remember anything going through as many different books as you do!"

Well part of that will come down to the temporal lobe and hippocampus of my brain. I also have to believe in myself which results in a positive mental attitude. I am aware that reading many books can make your broad but it won't make you exact. To become exact you need to practice. I wish i was just able to read one book, put a smile on my face and then happily start coding, but unfortunately this is not the case. Even if i were to read and practice every book you had, i am sorry to say it is not enough for me to complete what it is i have to do. And neither on the market there is any single book that can gear me up for such a website i wish to complete.

I believe in staying positive and reading as much as i can, i don't forget everything, i remember the important points which relate to my project from each book, and i am aware were these points are and in which book. So later I will come back to reference these points at each stage of the project.

You mentioned being in a muddle if start to build in yii when i learn, well i can tell you i did almost finish the yii book that was out, but again, that book does doesn't cover even 10% of what i need to do. And i don't believe any books that come out are going to be enough. So i believe regardless of doing the books or not, the muddle is going to come whether i like it or not. I love to read your books more than any of the authors, but as you know they are just starting points, and at some point you will have to get your hands dirty.