Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Is there an easy way to read PDF file data into a PHP script in plain text format?

According to PHP.net and other sites, there seem to be PHP libraries installed on most hosts and XAMPP for accessing PDF files, but the documentation is rather terse.

Any help or pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I did this recently using Zend Framework. I read in a PDF and indexed all the text as plain format. I *think* I wrote about it on my blog, but if you can't find it there, let me know and I'll hunt down the code I used.

Thanks.

I tried searching through your blog for things like "Zend", "PDF", etc., but didn't have much luck.

On a related note, you might want to consider touching up the blog search feature so that it's easier for people to find what they want. (Not a criticism, just a suggestion.)

Anyway, I'll admit, I'm not much of a "framework guy". If possible, I'd like to find the base functions in a PDF library that enable you to extract data. If you're not too familiar with that, then I guess I'll just explore PHP.net some more. No biggie.

Okay, maybe I didn't put it on my site. I can provide the code, if you want.

What specifically do you mean by "touching up" the blog search feature?

The great thing about the Zend Framework is that you can use it piecemeal, so you can use Zend_PDF without using anything else, just as you would any PDF library.

Ah, that's a cool feature of Zend I didn't know about. Well, I'll pay around with things a bit, and see what I can find. Thanks.

In regards to your search feature, I was assuming that there was indeed an article, and that try as I might, I just couldn't find the article, so I was getting frustrated and thinking that the search simply wasn't giving me what I was asking for.

Aside from that though, I was also thinking that it would be nice if your search feature highlighted the words searched for (like Google). Just might make things a bit easier is all.