Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Pop-Up Download Box For A Zip File

Hello,

I am trying to get a download box to pop-up and ask to save as for a zip file in the same window. The file being downloaded is based on user input of a download code that was sent to them in their email. I have everything working as far as validating their input but how do I force the download box to pop up after their input has been looked at and the correct file has been chosen? I have tried using header but that will only work if I redirect them to another page. I would like the box to pop up like I have seen on other site where a file is downloaded. Is this something I can do in php or do I need to use javascript? Also can anyone lead me in the right direction as to the code I would need to accomplish this?

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

You can't do this in JavaScript and can do it in PHP. It is a matter of sending the right headers. See the book's example for showing images via a proxy script. Then you'll take that same basic principle and send a ZIP file instead of an image (with some edits). The browser will automatically create the pop-up, depending upon the browser and its settings.