Larry Ullman's Book Forums

Learning About Good Web Design (By Learning What Not To Do)

Some of those are horrible i agree, they are an eye sore to look at, but i thought the Sony website was fairly good, i think some of those comments are a little unfair, and those sites were hardly voted on by others.

This is also true for ebay, actually if you compare it to the Sony website its worse, i am always wondering if ebay are actually going to improve their look. I know enough to know that its not about the look that makes a business work, the look you could say is just the cream of the cake. That is probably a good reason why some websites fail because they focus too much on this look but forget about the overall functionality and what the users want.

I would say for CSS and the User Interface, that a full time job for someone to get right, you certainly have to have the time to play around with it that us coders do not.

Yes, the whole UX thing is an art and a skill, and it takes a lot of time.

I ultimately think that the content of the site is the most important part, but a nice-looking and easy-to-use site never hurts either.

I can think of so many sites that I use on a daily basis where I think, "I wish this site looked better/was easier to use, but it's so useful, I will continue to use it every day regardless."

I took a look at a few of those sites as well. That massage site or whatever was absolutely hideous. Sony I didn't think was too bad. I felt because it only showed 1 item, the description text could be a bit bigger, but for multiple items on a page, the text would seem fine. Just my 2 cents, as i'm learning.

</Unpredict2ble>

Yeah, I agree that the massage site was quite possibly the worst of the worst on that site.

I laughed for quite a while when I saw that site.

One of the quotes on the site that made me laugh for a while was, "Someone actually took the time to look at each page on this site, and say, 'Yeah, this is exactly what I want! Great!'"